Advice before I buy (regulator service tools)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy an IP Gauge and a first stage handle.

For the first stage handle, Scubatools sells 2 versions.

1. A heavy brass one
First Stage Handle, Heavy Duty, Brass

2. A lightweight aluminum one
First Stage Handle, Featherweight, Aluminum

If the lightweight one is strong enough, its weight is attractive. But I also care about durability.

Which should I get?

Secondly for the IP Gauge, I prefer one with a pressure relieve buttom or valve.
THe ones on Scubatools don't seem to come with this feature.
Which IP Gauge for the 1st stage will you recommend?

Thanks.

Will you be carrying the handle around? If not then weight I guess isn't so much of an issue. I'm a sucker for the words "heavy duty". You can save some money by using a spent CO2 cartridge. I've never tried but apparently they work fine.

I always check IP with a second stage attached so don't need a gauge with relief valve. I have been using a cheap one from DGX. It's years old and still seems to work fine. Was about $15 IIRC.

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 02:14 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure they so sell an IP gauge with that feature.

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 02:17 AM ----------

I found scubatools to be a little spendy and in combination with their overseas shipping charges they are too rich for me.

The aluminum one is fine. If you are worried very much about durability on a first stage handle and what might happen to it, it may not be a good idea to work on your own regs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Although the Storm Intermediate Pressure Gauge is a good value and quite serviceable, as an incurable tool junkie I must admit that the XS Scuba IP Test Gauge is awfully tempting.

ac380.jpg

Make the tool...

0F709185-FC7D-4898-9D15-C2ED4313193F_zpsww4fecew.jpg

SS bolt with a section of conduit and washers to hold it captive. The only thing I bought was the bolt...the rest I had.

I picked up a inexpensive IP gauge on eBay for $17 delivered

Sent from my iPhone from my momma's basement

Make the tool...

Good idea. Note that the thread for an LP port is 3/8-24 UNF (Unified National Fine), not the more common 3/8-16 UNC found in most hardware and marine supplies. You can also use a ¼" compression tube fittings like Swagelok if you have any in your junk bin. Just remove the nut and ferrule.

The HP port has a 7/16-20 UNF thread.

Bolts from local hardware store. About $0.50

They are heavy duty...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

If those are the only tools you are ordering then I would buy from DGX, the reg holding tool is only $14 and the deluxe IPG is under $20. If you pick up some more items to get the total over $50 then shipping is free.

I put together my IP gauge for a little over $30. It is usually screwed to the wall but I'm moving my work station at the moment. Not portable but easy to read.

IMG-20140516-02935.jpg

One note that we discovered this weekend during a HOG regulator class that I taught is that the in line tool from DGX Will not fit the hex orifice on the HOG regs. The main difference between it and the one from scubatools is that the one from scubatools is tapered and fits perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom