Advice before I buy (regulator service tools)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I see it, you could buy an inline tool (and maybe save a little time), or you could buy another regulator.

In my case, it would not be a time saver. First I would have to find it (always a problem). I like to do a rough set before I install the cover. I like to listen to the sound of the leak changing a I close in n a seal with decreasing turn increments as I close in. Then I add the cover and do it again until it stops leaking but still a rough set. Then I go through a seat break-in of 50 or so rapid purges. Then I do a final set. I suppose the inline tool would speed this process; but why. Sometimes this is more fun than ....:no:

One note that we discovered this weekend during a HOG regulator class that I taught is that the in line tool from DGX Will not fit the hex orifice on the HOG regs. The main difference between it and the one from scubatools is that the one from scubatools is tapered and fits perfectly.

I be very glad that I asked first then!! Thanks!!

---------- Post added May 26th, 2014 at 04:32 PM ----------

Jim,
Just to check, the DGX first stage holding tool and IP Gauge should work fine right?

One note that we discovered this weekend during a HOG regulator class that I taught is that the in line tool from DGX Will not fit the hex orifice on the HOG regs. The main difference between it and the one from scubatools is that the one from scubatools is tapered and fits perfectly.

From Scubatools: The hex drive bit will fit all 3/16"-5mm (.188-.197) broached orifices. The bit is machined with a slight taper to accommodate this size range. So the HOG regulator must use a 3/16" hex fitting.

Good idea. Note that the thread for an LP port is 3/8-24 UNF (Unified National Fine), not the more common 3/8-16 UNC found in most hardware and marine supplies. You can also use a ¼" compression tube fittings like Swagelok if you have any in your junk bin. Just remove the nut and ferrule.

The HP port has a 7/16-20 UNF thread.

Does the 1st stage holding tool screw onto the HP port or the LP port?

The idea of using a bolt is brilliant.

Does the 1st stage holding tool screw onto the HP port or the LP port?

The idea of using a bolt is brilliant.

All the ones I've seen have both sizes, the ones from ScubaTools will fit both LP and HP ports. I have an Apeks factory holding tool and it too has both.

I be very glad that I asked first then!! Thanks!!

---------- Post added May 26th, 2014 at 04:32 PM ----------

Jim,
Just to check, the DGX first stage holding tool and IP Gauge should work fine right?

Yes. The IP gauge plugs into the lp inflator hose and the holding tool is universal.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

One option if you are using DESRAT's bolt idea is to add a Nylon washer and jam-nut if you run into fit problems like Jim Lapenta brought up. A jam-nut would prevent the regulator form unscrewing when working with it clamped in a vice, so it might work better in some cases then the dedicated tool.

Yes. The IP gauge plugs into the lp inflator hose and the holding tool is universal.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ok thank you! That is great.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 09:05 AM ----------

One option if you are using DESRAT's bolt idea is to add a Nylon washer and jam-nut if you run into fit problems like Jim Lapenta brought up. A jam-nut would prevent the regulator form unscrewing when working with it clamped in a vice, so it might work better in some cases then the dedicated tool.

Thanks for the tip Akimbo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom