Advice about diving in Atami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emanuelw

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, after a dry summer and a canceled Okinawa trip I'm finally off diving again this weekend. Will be going to Atami with a Japanese friend in hope of diving the Chinsen and another spot. We're both students so we're trying to make this on the cheap side so I have a few questions.
Is it possible to rent gear from one shop and go diving with another?
Is a guide necessary on the Chinsen? Any bad currents or other hazards that makes it unsuitable to do without a guide? (We are RD and DM with 130 and 160 dives each)
Apart from the Chinsen which I heard is a must do, do you guys have any recommendations for the second dive?
Last but not least, the cheapest we found so far is 11500 yen for 2 boat dives without guide. Are there any shops who can beat that price?

Grateful for your input

Emanuel

Hi Emanuel,

It is good thought to go out before next typhoon. An utilization of rental equipment basically depends on you but a confirmation is recommended. You can dive without a guide because the Chinsen is relatively easy objective. But guided diving is recommended anywhere new.
Bitagane is popular site for 2nd dive.
The price is an average. Did you consider other costs for example travel cost, pickup service , shower, parking ---?

Have a good diving!

Thanks for your input Nori. Yeah we will be taking the snail train down to Atami to save some money, pickup is something we will talk to the dive shop about today when we book the diving.
After this it's time for Mikomoto!

I think Nori is right, do one dive on the chinsen and one at bitagane. Probably the best two points in atami. Or if its your first time there, you could do the front half of chinsen on the first dive, and on the second dive try to do both the front and back (if you liked the first one that is)

Its pretty close to the station, if you are not carrying gear its a simple 15 minute walk down hill (but a tiring uphill walk at the end of the day!) With gear you might want a taxi or pickup service.

I hope to dive the chinsen later this month.

BTW stop at the family mart at the station for snacks as there isn't too much near the dive op. (sorry, I'm always thinking about food)

I've found the currents in Atami to be pretty mild.

Sodaine is also a very nice site, but with just two of you, you're probably going to end up going wherever the boat wants to go.

You wouldn't need a guide on Chinsen (just watch your gas consumption) unless you traverse to the stern section in bad vis, but I would reccomend one for the two reefs - Bitagane and Sodaine. There is boat traffic above and with the possibility of lower vis and the complex structure of these reefs, it is relatively easy to not find the line at the end of the dive, unless you are pretty familiar with the site. Bring SMBs.

Don't know about gear rental, I bring my own. As Nori says, though, best to get a confirmation especially if you are "gaijin-size." :)

Also agree, it's an easy walk down from the station to YGM if that is the service you are using, which will save you a few yen over a cab. As for diving cost, it is what it is, this is Japan and I think Atami is one of the more expensive spots.

Dev, I just met you in Japan, you go back to the US and the first thing you do is to switch on your computer and check the Japan section on SB :D

Emanuelw, You can join us Sep 30 in Atami if you want (you are DM right?) ; 2 boat dives (Nitrox) at the same price (normally 12,000). PM if interested.

Dev, I just met you in Japan, you go back to the US and the first thing you do is to switch on your computer and check the Japan section on SB :D

QUOTE]

I guess that shows you where my mind is... :)

I know! I do similar things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom