Advertising - want to do it the right way and need some info please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UtilaSarge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have looked around the site and see advertising referred to, but cannot find any information on HOW to do it. I assume the board supporter levels are required, but I would appreciate any help on how to do this the right way on the board. We have an all inclusive for couples and groups of up to 6 here on Utila, and want to post videos and pics of the diving etc that have our website address in them.
New to the board and just want to do it right. Thank you for your help and info!

I have a suggestion. In addition to formal advertising, make yourself a useful presence in the forums. When people ask questions, volunteer good, solid information. You can do it about diving in your area and about diving in general. You want people to have a favorable impression of you and your business.

Two warnings:
  1. Make sure your information is good and solid. We have had several businesses make posts intended to provide good instruction on basic scuba, but it turned out to be outdated or inaccurate. Those people get roasted. I have also seen it on FaceBook, too, where a dive operation tries to get people interested in their OW certification program by posting pictures of students kneeling in a pool or in the sand. Do that here and you will be absolutely shredded.
  2. Keep your cool. We have had several business people who reacted to challenging posts with sharp anger, often to or beyond the point of rudeness. That does not work.

I have a suggestion. In addition to formal advertising, make yourself a useful presence in the forums. When people ask questions, volunteer good, solid information. You can do it about diving in your area and about diving in general. You want people to have a favorable impression of you and your business.

Two warnings:
  1. Make sure your information is good and solid. We have had several businesses make posts intended to provide good instruction on basic scuba, but it turned out to be outdated or inaccurate. Those people get roasted. I have also seen it on FaceBook, too, where a dive operation tries to get people interested in their OW certification program by posting pictures of students kneeling in a pool or in the sand. Do that here and you will be absolutely shredded.
  2. Keep your cool. We have had several business people who reacted to challenging posts with sharp anger, often to or beyond the point of rudeness. That does not work.

I disagree. Stick to your original plan of advertising your resort. We want to know about the operations and accomodations. Do you have AC? How many dives per day?

I don’t need to see your teaching methods or philosophies. You have absolutely nothing to gain by doing that. Everything to lose - people on the board will crucify you if you veer ever so slightly against what is perceived to be “right” on SB.

Back
Top Bottom