Adventure Dive vs finish PADI AOW???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuzukiGirl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
West Central IL (Straight west of Chicago on the M
# of dives
50 - 99
We are on Oahu and thought wouldn't it be nice to do a deep dive here toward our PADI AOW. Our LDS instructor in IL told us that was fine (we've done 4 of 5 dives with them) just have the HI instructor log it as an adventure dive & go over the knowledge review and they would fill out all the paperwork (which we've already paid for the complete AOW course tuition with them) when we get back home. A few Maui shops told us it would be no problem but we weren't able to schedule dives there due to time constrants and flying. Now we are being told by a couple of Oahu providers that they must FINISH the AOW since the deep dive is the last dive on the AOW and the last instructor must file all the paperwork and want to charge us a lot extra for the "tuition". What's up with that? Are they trying to get points with PADI for certifying AOW divers in their shop? If that's it, why not sign the log as the first adventure dive of a deep specialty we will complete at home? Personally, I'd like to dive deep where it is warm and clear but you can't get much better than that and back home is cold & 10'viz so I could easily dive as good or better conditions doing the deep at home. Is this really a PADI rule or are we being snowballed?

SuzukiGirl:
Now we are being told by a couple of Oahu providers that they must FINISH the AOW since the deep dive is the last dive on the AOW and the last instructor must file all the paperwork and want to charge us a lot extra for the "tuition".............Is this really a PADI rule or are we being snowballed?
Snowballed !! That is complete BS. There is no 'order' for the dives on the AOW. You can do them any which way, you just have to do five adventure dives, one of which is Deep and one Nav.

OK, I called PADI and they explained that the last instructor to sign off of the last adventure dive of the AOW is the one to file the certification. They had no problem with us doing a deep adventure dive on Oahu then returning home and completing a sixth adventure dive of some type with our LDS to finish the paperwork.

Wait, she doesn't mean that they are making them do deep last - it is the only one that they haven't completed yet (they did the other 4 with their LDS).

Usually it is the one that does the last dive is the one that signs off. We have lots of people come over to complete their OW (PADI) and although they did most of the work with their LDS - we mail in the card. For other agencies we just sign off.

In some cases - if the instructor is doing the dive with you as part of a certification you can expect to pay a bit more for it (even if it is only one dive). You are getting a bit more than just a dive, right? In other cases they will just sign off - like all things in life, it all depends who and how ya ask :wink:

I'd say do your AOW if you plan on getting more certs. If you don't care about that, the money should just be viewed as having some extra supervision on the advancing of your profiles.

Our dives here in Honolulu are on the deep side for freshly minted divers which makes the AOW rating not such a bad idea. You'll hear people making jokes about it but if you can get the extra assistance with navigation and diving beyond CESA limits, then I think it is money well spent. Your goal should be to confirm that that is what you will be getting for the money, as it varies. I wouldn't think of it so much as
"getting credit" as having some education rendered. The Instructor makes a big difference, the pre-booking conversation with that person will tell you if that is what you will be getting and can expect. Don't show up on an operator's boat, arranged by a middle man and accept just getting "added on" to whatever works for them that day..hope this makes sense. I'd even ask if they could add Nitrox at the same time, if you feel inclined.

Personally I think if you're going to be diving in cold water with limited vis, I'd do the deep dive there... Hawaii diving isn't going to be too much help for you back home. It may be "easier" but also less helpful for your day to day diving... I'd certainly do as many dives as I could here in HI but I don't think it's worth the extra money to go down a few extra feet... If you want to do a deeper dive and are required to have that supervision then by all means I would pay the extra money but I'd still do a supervised deep dive back home... The more dives you can do with a qualified person the better your skills will be...

Have a great time!

Sean

justleesa:
In some cases - if the instructor is doing the dive with you as part of a certification you can expect to pay a bit more for it (even if it is only one dive). You are getting a bit more than just a dive, right? In other cases they will just sign off - like all things in life, it all depends who and how ya ask :wink:

True! but, alot of Scuba companies on Oahu are only interested in the money, not that i dont like $$. All dives with an instructor/divemaster should be informative and helpful to the non-pro diver but still fun... this is rec not tech diving. :D

Back
Top Bottom