Advantages of divemaster courses for diver development?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to say "maybe".

I am an instructor now, but I went for the DiveCon (SSI equivalent, at the time), and it did help me be a better diver, because we keyed in, for a long time, all of the technical stuff of dive theory, as well as working on skill sets. But yes, there was a lot of other stuff involved, too (sales related), in that course, and the Instructor Course.

For my money+time, I'd just take private one-on-one lessons with a good instructor. However, if you want to know a lot, and learn a lot, the SSI course is a lot of bang for the buck.

DM doesn't improve your overall diving skills - but it does reinforce the core procedures you learned on Open Water. That's typically a benefit, unless you've been conscientious about continually practicing and refining them anyway, in the time since you originally qualified.

DM does provide dive leadership - dive planning, briefing, risk assessment and situational awareness. That can be very beneficial if you often find yourself diving with less experienced divers. When I first qualified as a DM, many less-experienced friends asked to dive with me - I really enjoyed providing that support and leadership for them.

DM provides 'instructional assistant' capability. Unless you plan to work in a dive center, or progress to instructor status, then that's of little value. What small value it has, may be gained from your ability to advise and assist fellow divers with their skill development, on an informal basis. That's nice if you are the 'helpful type'.

If your main goal is to be a 'better diver', then alternative training may be more efficient. Establishing a mentor relationship with an experienced diver, who can role-model what you want to achieve. Doing some basic technical or 'fundies' type courses is also an option.

DM does provide dive leadership - dive planning, briefing, risk assessment and situational awareness. That can be very beneficial if you often find yourself diving with less experienced divers. When I first qualified as a DM, many less-experienced friends asked to dive with me - I really enjoyed providing that support and leadership for them.

an informal basis. That's nice if you are the 'helpful type'.

Yes, that is a big plus that I forgot. One thing to remember when helping people out is the insurance thing. Especially if in the U.S., as we all know people sue for a lot of things down there. Insurance for me is $205 CN/yr. and more in the U.S. I believe. Perhaps a better way to be a "helper" is to have the DM knowledge but not the certification? Of course, an OW diver can also be sued helping out if something happens, but chances of collecting are probably less than if you are a DM.

I think when it comes down to it, the DM course will teach you how to become more aware of the whole broad situation around you. Not just you and your buddy, but the entire group, the dive class, helping out with logistics without being asked to by the instructor. Just knowing what's going on and what needs to be done often before it's been asked of you; that was my end result from my DM course that really stood out.

Leadership skills and broad group dive planning is another thing. Depending on the instructor you may be forced to up your skills to demonstration quality which I think is something you should go for.

In addition to all of this, your basic skills will improve but this isn't directly a result of the DM class's main teaching goals, just often the case because of the requirements you're put forth towards. You don't focus on improving your skills, but it just happens as you get better at the other things you focus on, provided you already have a solid base to work with.

With the class and annual fees you have to pay to keep your rating, I wouldn't pursue the class unless you have at least a small inkling to TA classes. You can gain the DM skills via mentorship plus or minus a few beers.

There are two programs (besides the DIR routes) that are designed to make you a better diver, the LA County Advanced Diver and the NAUI Master Diver.

There are two programs (besides the DIR routes) that are designed to make you a better diver, the LA County Advanced Diver and the NAUI Master Diver.

I'm surprised you didn't mention AAUS diver training Thal. Making basic skills second nature via heavy task loading in rough conditions, that's one way to become a better diver. :wink:

There are others, often created and conducted locally. Ask around.

To disagree a little with the others, my DM training (which was over 12 years ago, included a lot of focus on honing skills to demonstration quality. We did thins in the pool and in open water. Those skills to be honed also included navigation. It was a PADI course, but I am sure our instructor, who happened to be a course director, went a bit beyond minimum standards. I in fact did become a better diver by reason of that training. That said, I will now agree with the other posters that absent a desire to be a dive leader or teacher, I would focus on diving and honing skills, and taking specialty courses in areas of interest to me.
DivemasterDennis

I'm surprised you didn't mention AAUS diver training Thal. Making basic skills second nature via heavy task loading in rough conditions, that's one way to become a better diver. :wink:

There are others, often created and conducted locally. Ask around.
No question that such programs exist, Bob's (Grateful Diver) springs to mind. As far as AAUS is concerned, I've pretty much given up on recommending that route. Some years back recreational divers had the commitment to undertake that sort of training, but that level of commitment seems to have faded.

The other thing sometimes missed (or seems to be) is that diving is how you get better. Sometimes people seem to be more focused on climbing up the certification ladder than on actually diving.

Practicing skills in a structured environment and a sometimes too great adherence to "rules" is not necessarily the best path to being a good diver.

Even if there were other classes after high school driver training I think most people would be better drivers if they drive under a lot of varied conditions rather than going through "drivers training II". It's the same with diving IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom