Advantages/Disadvantages to different video settings on go pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those with more time behind the camera (I've only had my Pro2 for a week), is there any difference between frame size / modes, and up close focus?

In wide mode and 720p60, I find the closest I can get and stay in focus is about 6 before the video starts to get blurry... Do different modes provide a closer focus?

I hear Backscatter is coming out with a threaded macro lens, which would be sweeeeeet.

Anyone play with closer than ~6" focus ability?

As far as I can tell all modes see to give the same min focus distance and as the lens is fixed focus this would be expected I think.

There was another user playing with macro filters and the GoPro with a Blurfix adapter here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...5mm-adapter-macro-lens-filters-questions.html

---------- Post added ----------

For those with more time behind the camera (I've only had my Pro2 for a week), is there any difference between frame size / modes, and up close focus?

In wide mode and 720p60, I find the closest I can get and stay in focus is about 6 before the video starts to get blurry... Do different modes provide a closer focus?

I hear Backscatter is coming out with a threaded macro lens, which would be sweeeeeet.

Anyone play with closer than ~6" focus ability?

Here is the other method of getting closer focus on a GoPro, it will void your warranty most likely but the lens is able to be manually adjusted to refocus.

Here is a thread on how to do this GoProUser.freeforums.org • Login

This is the method GoPro used in their latest video showing off the WiFi bacpac, here are some screen grabs of it in action.

gopronewyorkcityadayint.jpg

Unfortunately you can only adjust focus when out of the housing so you would have to set it up for macro and just use it for
that all dive. I think I will give it a go on my next dives as I have a few GoPro's to play with and it may turn out some cool shots.

For headmounting I'd suggest you try 720P60 for 2 reasons the higher frame rate will reduce blurring and the wide FOV will make it easier to get what your looking at in the frame. In medium FOV you will find the movement will be a bit too much at times and a wider FOV will stabilize this a little. Most likely what your looking at wont make it to your video unless youve done a very good job aiming the camera before hand, in wide mode you will capture much more in the frame but it will all look further away.

Its worth trying both methods but I stick to 720P60 for all my headmounted videos as they turn out much better. Playing it back in 60P looks awesome too unfortunatly sharing videos online on YT or vimeo only playback in 60P but going from 60P to 30P doesnt cause any issues.
HI Great Thread,

With the new 3+ Black edition is 1080p50 (PAL) the best choice or is the new 720p100 (PAL) still a better a option for diving with the camera on a Telescoping Extension Pole?

well for filming in low light its better with lower framerate, then the sensor wil use more of the light (less noise). 3+ has auto lowlight mode when filming in 1080p50(PAL), camera goes to 25p(PAL) automatically when lights are low, so I would have used that.
But also higher bitrate gives bigger files and needs more batterypower...
720p100(PAL) I would only used above water or when it is very sunny at shallow water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom