Advanced Wreck Diving - Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A few weeks ago I surveyed a lot of passageways on the Spiegel Grove in advance of an advanced wreck diver class I have scheduled in September. Last weekend I showed Lamar Hires, John Jones, Jared Hires and others from the Dive-Rite crew these passageways. Lamar video taped a lot of that dive and it can be seen at: Lamar Hires | Facebook

The depth of this part of the ship is 105 fsw. There are a few sections where outside light comes in, but only a couple of places where a diver can exit. This is definitely an advanced wreck dive. There is a good bit of silt on the bottom so good cave/wreck technique is mandatory. There are several places where obstructions exist and where cabling hangs down to impede passage.

There are places along this "traverse" where one can look down several decks to see some pretty deep places that look pretty dang dangerous to me. I spent two years serving on her and I recall the machinery spaces on the 5th deck down being huge and full of equipment. I have no interest or plans to penetrate down to those depths yet...I suspect we will see depths of up to 140 fsw in the bottom of the machinery spaces.

This traverse takes about 25-30 minutes to complete....Of course part of the gig is being told what the spaces are as I lived on her for over two years and served as Command Duty Officer & OOD underway.

In any event these areas on Lamars' video is where I will be running this advanced wreck class. There is a line in there ... looks like #24 braided nylon. I saw only one directional marker on that line. The line is very well run. The best gas for this dive will be EAN32, deco gas 100% O2.

Divers undertaking dives in these areas MUST be properly trained in advanced wreck diving techniques. Running lines, anti-silting techniques, navigation, gas management and bailout.

Many of the wrecks I have trained on for advanced wreck are 180+ feet deep and bottom times are limited. This wreck presents a golden opportunity for excellent advanced wreck training in warm / shallow/ clear water.

IMG_1282.jpg

Nice job. We spent yesterday all day on the SG. We have 3 instructors onboard including Pete Nawrocky and Steve Lewis. We have 5 new AN/DP divers, and 3 new advanced wreck divers. Or at least we will by trip's end.

I need to get out on your boat...might even be interested in running her for you every now and again if you need a break...

We should talk...

Call me or lets meet sometime, somewhere.

Were you behind me on the Duane today?

I am off today...

Capt, where are you going to run the class out of? What is the total time expected (in days) for classroom and dives, what pre-reqs are you wanting? Start date?

Running out of Key Largo, using Ocean Divers boats. The class should be five days long. We can start the class most anytime. M training schedule can be seen at: http://cavediveflorida.com/Training calendar.htm

You need a deep diver cert and nitrox cert. Must provide proof of a minimum of 70 logged dives or sufficient experience doing technical dives.

-OR-

A minimum of 40 logged dives with qualification as a Wreck or Cavern Diver.

This Program must include a minimum of 240 minutes of bottom time to be completed within at least 6 wreck penetration
dives.

Feel free to call me to discuss details & logistics.

I spent two years serving on her and I recall the machinery spaces on the 5th deck down being huge and full of equipment. I have no interest or plans to penetrate down to those depths yet...I suspect we will see depths of up to 140 fsw in the bottom of the machinery spaces.

Some of the machinery looks like it could start right up. This is from a couple of years ago. Don't know the condition now.

Attachments

• PICT0043.jpg
    PICT0043.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 187
  • PICT0042.jpg
    PICT0042.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 185

Back
Top Bottom