Advanced Training on a Budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txoft30

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’m an OW diver w/nitrox cert and would like to further my training all the way up to instructor. This would be done all at once over the span of however many months it would take to complete the courses. Could I get advice on where to go for world class training that wouldn’t be as expensive as what I’d likely have to pay here in the USA? SE Asia would likely be top of the list due to the cheap cost of living, but if I could get the opinions of those that have knowledge and experience on the subject, I’d greatly appreciate it!!

Not sure where the lowest cost for quality training would be.....but I'd strongly suggest that whatever you choose, that it's best to do your instructor training in the same or similar area and conditions and equipment configurations that you'll be living and doing your teaching. For example, I would not do all of my instructor training in Bonaire if I intended to be teaching here in the PAC NW. It's just a completely different ballgame..

Best of luck to you in your aspiration and goal to turn pro!

Sound advice Dive Dawg. Thanks for sharing!!!

One more quick thing....... I see that your info says "I just don't log dives"....... same as me but I'm retired from teaching so who cares.

Anyway, you may want to start logging dives while on the instructor path.

One more quick thing....... I see that your info says "I just don't log dives"....... same as me but I'm retired from teaching so who cares.

Good point!
And if "I just don't log dives" means not really caring about paperwork, then it might be best to reconsider the instructor path.

I

I do log dives, but without looking I have no idea how many I’ve actually logged.

You are looking for a less expensive training, that is good. Sometimes less expensive training does not include everything you need to be a successful instructor.

You should not cut corners. You will be dealing with people’s lives while teaching them underwater skills. Check SSI, NAUI, and PADI websites, they can offer some guide on places where you can receive good training at a reasonable cost.

I do log dives, but without looking I have no idea how many I’ve actually logged.
10, 100, 1000? Your profile says Texas rivers and lakes, and Cozumel.
The more experienced in varied environments the better, to be an instructor.

You are looking for a less expensive training, that is good. Sometimes less expensive training does not include everything you need to be a successful instructor.

You should not cut corners. You will be dealing with people’s lives while teaching them underwater skills. Check SSI, NAUI, and PADI websites, they can offer some guide on places where you can receive good training at a reasonable cost.
I will check their websites. Thanks for the advice. Also, I don't see how finding dive centers that are located in less expensive areas of the world would be cutting corners...Class cirriculum should be standard despite the classes geographical location. I'm fully aware that some shops won't be as good as others, but surely there are places that provide just as good of training in Thailand, for example, as there are here in the US. One would have to think that there are good and bad instructors everywhere in the world.

Back
Top Bottom