Advanced OWD or Peak Performancy Bouyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpm.1881

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My wife and I are newly certified PADI open water divers (22 March 2009). :D We have done 5 dives since our check out dives and want to improve our diving skills with an instructor.

Do you guys think that:
a) we should get our AOWD certification;
b) would we rather get the Peak Performance Bouyancy Specialty first? Since the AOWD involve 5 dives, we plan on taking the PPB specialty with 2 other adventure dives, deep diving and underwater navigation. They would basically cost the same.; or
c) keep on diving first then get either of the aove after logging in more dives (50++?)

By the way, during our 2nd dive since our checkout, we failed to "stop" for the safety stop :shakehead: (max depth=20m; ave depth=12; BT=40 mins). Meaning, when we were about to do our safety stop, my wife and I suddenly floated uncontrollably to the surface. :confused: We didn't knew that if our tanks are low on air, it becomes positively buoyant. Hence.. :idk: Good thing nothing bad happened to us. After, that all our dives went relatively well. :)

Other details: we dive in warm tropical waters in 3mm wetsuits, have our own personal gear (masks, snorkel, fins/booties, wetsuits) and rent BCs/regs, if that's relevant.

Thanks!

Ron

Go with PPB first, my AOW did not solve the buoyancy issues I had after my OW certification.

Go with PPB first, my AOW did not solve the buoyancy issues I had after my OW certification.

Thanks. That's what I've been thinking also. What I really want to improve on is our buoyancy underwater and my air consumption (during one our check-out dives, I only had 500psi of air after only a 45 min 45ft ave depth dive). After reading the PADI OWD manual several times, I formed the belief that the AOWD course is simply 5 dives of different diving specialties including the required deep diving and underwater adventure dives (which was somehow confirmed by several threads here). It wouldn't really address our buoyancy and air consumption issues.

Thanks. That's what I've been thinking also. What I really want to improve on is our buoyancy underwater and my air consumption (during one our check-out dives, I only had 500psi of air after only a 45 min 45ft ave depth dive).

That's actually not that terrible of a SAC rate to start out with, and as you dive it will get better.

After reading the PADI OWD manual several times, I formed the belief that the AOWD course is simply 5 dives of different diving specialties including the required deep diving and underwater adventure dives (which was somehow confirmed by several threads here). It wouldn't really address our buoyancy and air consumption issues.

We did a PPB dive as part of my AOW, but one dive simply cannot adequately address something as meticulous as buoyancy control. After awhile it becomes incredibly easy, but starting out can be rough.

Best of luck!

Why not do "Peak Performance" as one of the three additional adventure dives?

the K

The main purpose of doing AOW is to gain a bit more skill and experience under supervision. It does NOT make you an "advanced diver". Think of it as "open water, part 2". If you are going to do it, then there's not much point in waiting until you have already done a lot of diving. I recently did my AOW and got advice on SB about it before I did it. The majority of more experienced divers and instructors I heard from recommended doing AOW after you have logged around 12-24 dives post OW. That gives you a bit of practice to get comfortable with the basics before moving on to the next level.
If you do the AOW I would definitely recommend doing the PPB as one of the options - in fact it should probably be one of the required dives - unless you decide to do it separately first.
Have fun!

Hi Ron,

If you are really "hooked" consider buying your own BCD and regs. Having something your familiar with will help a great deal. A good instructor should be able to provide value when taking the PPB adventure dive. A pre-assessment should also reveal your air consumption. Although not part of the course formally, your instructor should also help you with that. Ask if he/she will up front. You could add the PPB specialty to the AOW course if you want as well.

Some go right into AOW after their OW cert dives, but if you can get a few more dives in (as Winterpeg also suggests) first that may prove more beneficial. If you team up with a DM you can also learn a great deal. Ask for suggestions as most DMs are very willing to help. Experience is what you need most right now.

If you were not aware of the buoyancy swing in the tank then I'd seriously think about going back to your OW instructor and ask him/her to finish your course as it was obviously not complete. Then I'd look at further training. See the thread in basic discussions titled "Who is responsible" and check out the Diver's dying in Cayman thread for what happens with less than adequate training. Not being mean just trying to get you to see what you should already know.

Greetings rpm and welcome to SB! You have received some great advice so far and what ever you decide it sounds like diving has gotten a hold on you. I still get excited remembering my first OW dive.
In my opinion if you have decided you are going to dive, buy your own gear all of it.
This will allow you to build experience with your own gear and allow you to dive more frequently. If the cost is a issue seek out good used gear, most LDS have access to gear, trade ins, etc.
My wife and I did AOW right after OW simply to gain more supervised experience and work on buoyancy. Our instructor was exceptional! I have come to understand that not all instructors are the same. I am not saying this to start a argument, just stating a fact I observed. He taught far more about buoyancy than just the one adventure dive. He knew we were heading to Mexico in a week and wanted to prepare us best he could.
We had basically private lessons it cost a little more but what we both got out of it far out weigh the cost. My wife in particular hit the water rockin! It took me a little longer to get my weighting down but you gain experience with every dive.
The best advice I could give is to get your gear and gain experience always diving with in your training and comfort level.
If you must wait for training then when you can take either coarse or find a instructor who will do both. PPB rocks and is paramount to diving. It is the key that when obtained makes diving a ZEN experience! But listen it will come, be patient and practice! Like getting your driving learners permit, you learn by gaining experience.
So enjoy, dive safe and often. Always dive with in your limits and comfort zone!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom