Advanced Open Water in Thailand - any suggestions, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandpipa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm planning to do a liveaboard (probably out of Phuket) in March, but am thinking of spending a few days on the beach first and doing my AOW before I board.

I'm thinking Phuket, Khao Lak or Krabi area...

I'd like somewhere relatively quiet, and has to be pretty!

Please can anyone recommend any good dive outfits and/or packages including accommodation?

I've already trawled previous threads and picked up some good ideas, so thanks for those!

Would also appreciate any info on time and effort to get from Krabi or Khao Lak to Phuket.

Many thanks!!

Sandpipa.

I'm heading over in Feb for a live aboard. Spent some time doing some diving in Phuket back in 2006. Patong Beach has most of the dive shops/training. Sunrise divers is on Phuket down by Karon beach. From what I remember Karon beach is alot quieter than Patong. We also spent some time in Koh Lak (about 1.5 to 2 hour drive north of Phuket). Very quiet up there. But I don't know of any dive shops/training up there. The only dive shop we saw was just a building as the tsunami did a number on it. good luck

I'm thinking Phuket, Khao Lak or Krabi area...

I'd like somewhere relatively quiet, and has to be pretty!

If you look for something quiet don't go Phuket, very, very bussy over there, high season overthere a lot off tourist and divers.

Yes, Krabi should be a good idee and Khao Lak also, easy to go on a liveaboard for the Similans Islands after your Aowd course.

:lightbulb

If you look for something quiet don't go Phuket, very, very bussy over there, high season overthere a lot off tourist and divers.
As mentioned earlier, you really do not know Phuket Plonske. Lots of nice and quiet beaches here as well, and on top of that, March is after the peak of the high season.

Yes, Krabi should be a good idee and Khao Lak also, easy to go on a liveaboard for the Similans Islands after your Aowd course.

:lightbulb

what a load of rubbish.

If yoi stand in the middle of beach road on patong then yes it would be busy. Phuket is a large island and largely undeveloped ( so far :) )

There are MANY places to stay that are nice and peaceful away from the crowds yet its still only a short ride to shopping areas, nightlife etc etc

Thanks all, for your replies...

...DrewDude, I've checked out Sunrise Divers and put them on my list, thanks... Please can anyone recommend any other good outfits in a reasonably quiet location to do my AOW with?

Googling around, I can see that prices seem to vary enormously for courses, with the priciest, unsurprisingly, linked to the more up-market hotels/resorts.

I guess that doesn't necessarily make them the best, though!

Cheers!

Sandpipa.

So! For me and other peoply, their are more beautiful places than only Phuket! Only a few people here can't read some negative postings about Phuket, for them their is only one place in Thailand. Very poor!

Bud keep on smiling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom