Advanced dives for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now here's the issue: You told another poster that reputable Cozumel DMs will not take a bribe to "look the other way" and let someone do an unsafe dive profile. Yet you call the dive profile I did with a reputable DM "unsafe" and I didn't even have to bribe him. Hence, either (1) DMs do take divers on unsafe profiles in Cozumel (with or without bribes) or (2) my 170' profile was safe. Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways.

I do love a logic fight!

:argue::argument::biggrin3:

Moss, correct me if I am wrong, but you never asserted that you went on that dive with a DM? Maybe you stole a boat or something? (Really, is that so far fetched?)

If so, did you assert that the DM planned the dive to 170? Perhaps you were just a 'non-conforming' diver who violated the dive plan. Perhaps the DM wasn't going to risk getting bent for you? Maybe because you're a bad tipper?:vitriol:

So many unanswered possibilities.....

My one and only dive at Maracaibo was to 154 feet, about 10 minutes at depth, and well into deco. All in all I'd sooner have gone to Palancar.
Sounds like you got a bad drop and the DM did the best he could with it. My favorite way to do Maracaibo is to start at the arch (90') then cross over to the shallows (60') with plenty of time left on the computer for a long drift through what I think is some of the healthiest reef Cozumel has. There are a few tools that are helpful. GPS, nitrox, and a 120 tank are nice to have on Maracaibo. A DM can stick his head in the water if he knows what he is looking at, and guide the boat that way. This picture was actually taken on Maracaibo and we had a excellent dive that day, but a GPS is definitely better.

29yfgok.jpg

I assumed because: (1) Maracaibo is usually done as a deep dive, beyond "recreational" profiles, with planned deco. You can look that up on the internet.
I'm not sure where you came up with that, but nothing could be further from the truth. If a newbie is with a group of seasoned divers looking after him I don't think a 90' dive would be a problem.

I'm not sure where you came up with that, but nothing could be further from the truth. If a newbie is with a group of seasoned divers looking after him I don't think a 90' dive would be a problem.
I read it on the internet, so it must be true. Besides, PADI would disagree with you on the 90' issue unless the newbie had taken his deep dive specialty course. Clearly it's not safe without that, unless PADI is wrong.

"MARACAIBO REEF also known as the LIGHTHOUSE REEF is unfortunately a decompression dive area due to the depths that are in excess of 140 feet. It is spectacular with lush and huge heads of coral populated with gray and black tipped reef sharks along with large groupers. ( Expert )" -- http://www.scuba-diving-cozumel.com/cozumel_reefs/reef-maracaibo-deep.htm

"Another site at the South end of the island that is less often visited is Maracaibo. Depths start at 90’ and drop off at about 140’. This dive is definitely advanced and requires excellent deep water skills." -- http://www.underwatercolours.com/cozumel/maps/maracaib.html

" Although this reef is best seen at depths exceeding recreational limits and engaging in deco procedures, a no- decompression dive with very limited time at depth is possible, groups will be kept together by the dive master and a mid-water decompression safety stop is obligatory on the way to the surface." -- http://www.divecozumel.net/maracaiboreef.html

"
Maracaibo​
Depth 70'-150' - Generally done by going through the arch which is at 115'.Experience level. Advanced. Current is sometimes unpredictable. Swells are usually large. Danger of being lost at sea.​
Maracaibo is an extremely impressive wall dive. This is the southernmost reef, very close to the Punta Celerain Lighthouse. There are usually large ocean swells when entering the water. The edge of the wall is about 90' down....descend slowly and keep your bearings. Once to the edge, look over, and you can see a sheer cliff overhand that plummets to the deep blue. Some divemasters will continue on down, as there are some beautiful formations at about 150'." --http://www.reefsofcozumel.com/pages/reefs/maracaibo.html

"Maracaibo is the southernmost dive site of Cozumel. Due to its location, the site receives lots of currents and as such it is recommended for experienced divers only. The site consists of two parts: Maracaibo Shallows is a drift dive in a sandy area nearby shore (the maximum depth is c. 25 metres or 80 feet). Maracaibo Wall goes even deeper (up to 50 metres or 160 feet deep). This wall dive is known for the presence of rays and sharks, including hammerheads at times. -- http://like2dive.com/location/cozumel/spot/maracaibo/

"​
Maracaibo reef:

is the most southern reef situated just outside the natural protection of the island. Maracaibo is a great dive for the experienced diver. Currents are strong during the whole year.
You have a free fall in the deep blue till you discover the wall at around 90 feet. In the middle of the dive you will find a huge arch fully grown with the most colorful corals and sponges of Cozumel.
On Maracaibo chances are big to spot larger marine life and reef sharks. The site can be visited only when weather conditions permit us to do this dive and for safety reasons we only dive this site with experienced divers." -- Maracaibo reef

"For advanced divers Maracaibo Reef is probably the most challenging dive spot in Cozumel at 140 -160 feet (42-48 meters), which is decompression (non sport) diving. The reef has a spectacular multitude of caves and crevices, requiring an entire day to explore." -- http://www.gooddive.com/diving-mexico/cozumel-diving.htm
Moss, correct me if I am wrong, but you never asserted that you went on that dive with a DM? Maybe you stole a boat or something? (Really, is that so far fetched?)
Good point. I'm surprised everyone made the assumption I was with a DM and didn't just shore dive the site. And even if I were with a DM, it's debatable whether he's "reputable" or not. After all, he's not even Mexican (assuming there was one), so how reputable could he be?

If so, did you assert that the DM planned the dive to 170? Perhaps you were just a 'non-conforming' diver who violated the dive plan. Perhaps the DM wasn't going to risk getting bent for you? Maybe because you're a bad tipper?
I did indeed violate the dive plan. I always listen carefully to the dive briefing because I'm a safe diver. DM (assuming there was one and that he was reputable) said "max depth 170 feet" and I went to 171 feet, completely violating the otherwise totally safe dive plan. Shame on me!

But I'm a decent tipper, IMO, and tipped extra well for the additional 22' of private DM deco service.[/QUOTE]

Actually thats LetterBoy if youre to believe his profile picture.. :wink:

Edit: NVM, seems hes changed it..

Actually thats LetterBoy if youre to believe his profile picture.. :wink:

Edit: NVM, seems hes changed it..
Exactly. I'm really just a precocious 13-year-old girl from Poughkeepsie.

Back
Top Bottom