Advance OW Course in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skylark_86

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still wondering if I should take up my PADI Advance OW course in Singapore this month, as most if not all of the popular dive destinations in East Malaysia are closed for this period due to the monsoon. Can anyone who has tried limited visibility diving in Singapore waters give me some advice on whether you would recommend taking up the Advance OW course in such conditions, and maybe recommend me a good instructor or local dive centre that I can sign up for the course with?

Thanks!! :)

Hi skylark

Only comment that I can make is to take advantage of poor conditions for your AOW. My sister did her OW and AOW in Malaysia, and did feel that the courses were very thorough. In fact now that she's back in Australia, she's doing her AOW again here.

If you do your course in limited vis, it'll make diving in good vis that much easier. I learned in cold water, poor vis. I feel a lot more comfortable diving warm water, good vis than someone whos done it the other way..

froop once bubbled...
Hi skylark

If you do your course in limited vis, it'll make diving in good vis that much easier. I learned in cold water, poor vis. I feel a lot more comfortable diving warm water, good vis than someone whos done it the other way..

froop once bubbled...
Hi skylark

Only comment that I can make is to take advantage of poor conditions for your AOW. My sister did her OW and AOW in Malaysia, and did feel that the courses were very thorough. In fact now that she's back in Australia, she's doing her AOW again here.

Neither of those two paras make any sense mate.

Quote "If you do your course in limited vis, it'll make diving in good vis that much easier. I learned in cold water, poor vis. I feel a lot more comfortable diving warm water, good vis than someone whos done it the other way.. "end quote

I learnt in warm water with good vis (Phuket), but I am enlightened to learn that you are more comfortable in the water than I am.

I think I am going to jack in this sport before those BSAC people also turn up and tell me they are better divers than me because they spent 16 years diving in a 3 meter pool before they were allowed into the sea.

Is your "little man" bigger than mine too? :drown:

Heard that the viz at Pulau Hantu has increased dramatically recently... So enjoy your Singapore dives!

my OW cert was in tougher conditions too. viz, wave, surge. makes things way more challenging but post cert when conditions were a bit better post cert, i find it 'easier'.

SkyLark,

The waters around Singapore are not the great even in the best of times. Went down to Hantu once ( For those not familiar, Hantu is ghost in Malay ), viz was about 1/2 m.

But heard from a couple of buddies recently, areas around Sudong get viz of about 3 - 5 m. Now thats a considered great.

I would say go for it. Taking the AOW in Singapore I mean. Here you can't cheat on your navigation. With the poor viz, it alot cheaper too, and you don't waste your time doing tests when the water is great and little fishies are all over the place.

I've dive Aur, Tioman, Rawang and countless swimming pools :)

Cheers people..

I took my Advanced Open Water in Borracay Philippines, last month. It was fun I got to do a nice drift dive as one of my courses....but I'm back in Northern Callifornia and the diving conditions here are alott different than the Philippines.... So next week I'll be doing my DrySuit Cert dive with an instructor that is teaching a Adavance Open Water Class, I asked my instructor If I can tag along with the AOW class that he was teaching....... Which is cool because I get to do all the Adavance Open Water dives again here in Monterey!!!........Plus I'll have a dry suit on in the 45-50 degree waters :)

AOW class dives are fun!

cmdasia once bubbled...
Neither of those two paras make any sense mate.

"If you do your course in limited vis, it'll make diving in good vis that much easier. I learned in cold water, poor vis. I feel a lot more comfortable diving warm water, good vis than someone whos done it the other way.. "

I learnt in warm water with good vis (Phuket), but I am enlightened to learn that you are more comfortable in the water than I am.

Sorry cmdasia, I didn't mean to offend you. Maybe I should elaborate. Let me rephrase:

"I feel a lot more comfortable diving in warm water, than everyone I know who learned in warm water, feels about diving in cold water".

My first warm water diving trip, as soon as I got in the water, and got my weight right I was ready to go. Easy. Back home I have dived with a number of people who have learned in tropical climates. All of a sudden they're in a 7mm wetsuit carrying 30lb of weight, and at 20-30fsw they're up and down like a yo-yo overcompensating buoyancy.

I can quite confidently say that those were not enjoyable dives for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom