Advance OW Course in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot argue with that, thanks for the clarication.

Chris

Skylark_86 once bubbled...
I'm still wondering if I should take up my PADI Advance OW course in Singapore this month, as most if not all of the popular dive destinations in East Malaysia are closed for this period due to the monsoon. Can anyone who has tried limited visibility diving in Singapore waters give me some advice on whether you would recommend taking up the Advance OW course in such conditions, and maybe recommend me a good instructor or local dive centre that I can sign up for the course with?

Thanks!! :)

I keep being told the vis has improved dramatically but the best I have seen is around 2m with worst of damn near zero. There are advantages to this though, as others have pointed out, and if you want to go for it you should give Jason Marsden a call, website is www.marsbros.com.

Best of luck

I strongly recommend Dive Riau based in Batam. Very professional and good price.

Hi,

I did most of my courses locally in Singapore.

Yes. indeed the visibility can be bad most of the time but I personally feel a great sense of experience especially when you are introduced into clear waters. I did my openwaters at Hantu...compared to the pool it was terrible...heaven and earth difference. However, look on the bright side....I would say am a more confident diver than most of my friends who took their courses in clearer waters.

There was one instance that my friend took his gal along one of the local trip as he is simple too busy for further trips out of Singapore. But of them simply could not cope with the drastic change of diving environment that they are struggling. In the end lost one mask.

The local waters might be of low vis but sure it is a good ground to train you to be a better diver(calm). There are currents around also, could do the drift dive, deep, navigation, multilevel...etc. However, if you do arrange, usually the local operators would normally take you for some local training and perhaps by then you would have reached the available diving slots at Redang or Tioman then...should say this is a economical time to brush up your dive skills, value for money, better experience.

As what others have mentioned, I've only completed my Rescue training recently in December 2002. I was actually surprised with the good visibility at Hantu...you can check out with most of your friends who did their dive during this period.Good luck....
:D

Actually beside hantu, you can try out Sudong too.
IMHO, The Viz is slightly better than hantu.

Actually, since the season will be opening soon (mid Feb or early Mar), why not wait for a month or 2 and you get to do your AOW in Malaysia where the viz is great. Beside the great viz, who knows you may get some "bonus" too and that is Manta and/ or whale shark sighting :bounce:

I did my AOW in Tioman, during the nav, I keep looking up the surface to locate the dive boat to orientate myself rather than checking the compass. My point is at the end of the day, what do you expect to gain from the course.

I enjoyed my AOW as it was nothing more than leisure dives. Just a few stuff you need to practice/execute for the instrustuctor.

Did a dive in sudong last dec,
must say that the vis sux big time!!! there was a tunderstorm too that day... so basicaly I am doing something close to a night dive without the torch. Didn't enjoy myself thou, didn't even see a single coral, let alone fish, wasted SGD $70.
But i did felt more confident.

West coast of Malaysia, duty free island of peace and quiet and a few dive sites ... not many, but loads of fish and great scenery

Flights from Sinagapore - KL, then KL to LGK

AOW in LGK is great!

Bars in Pantai Cenang are superb ... mostly on the beach watching the sun go down between two islands. BIG RED SUN!!!!! Sigh!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom