Adjusting the air flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
HI, I am new to diving and will be taking my first OW at the end of Oct. While I was in the pool last week i was having to realy suck air hard through the reg. I told the instructor who tried and said yep it needs looking at. My question is...

If this was hard to breath at 2 mts would it get worse as I went down? Also how easy is it to adjust, is it done on the 2nd stage? and lastly If I get to the OW course and my reg is hard to breath through can they fix it there?

My OW is at Stoney Cove and I have just brought a 7mm semi dry will this be warm enough, I have no natural insulation.

There are a few things that can cause your regulator to be breathing hard and the list is to large. If you bought it used and it has not be serviced I recommned it be done especially if it has been dove in salt water! At the bear minimum it may need a good cleaning lubrication and adjustment! :)

Good luck

len

Get the reg looked at by a competent shop! It may need just an adjustment or it may need a complete overhaul but it sure needs something, so get it done. You got enough task loading on first OW dives without worrying about a reg. Also, you will be needing a lot more air to push your fully geared body through the OW on a real dive than in a pool, and if the reg is marginal in the pool it will be downright dangerous in the OW - one would hope your instructor would have given you a bit more emphatic guidance than just suggesting your get it looked at" - things like this can turn what should be a fun first OW dive into a real hell. Hoping that someone can tweak it on the spot is sort of like hoping that someone on the jump airplane will have a needle and thread to help you patch your parachute.

As far as will it breath worse deep, hard to say but it sure isn't likely to breath better.

steve_r0binson once bubbled...
If this was hard to breath at 2 mts would it get worse as I went down? Also how easy is it to adjust, is it done on the 2nd stage? and lastly If I get to the OW course and my reg is hard to breath through can they fix it there?

Cheers Oxyhacker and Ninja for the replies. I forgot to mention that the reg is not mine it is in the clubs pool of regs.

My question about adjusting it on the day is I dont know what reg I might get. I am going to buy a new one once I know a bit more on regs. I am also going to ask that all the regs are looked at at the club.

If it's a club with a gear pool then there must be someone there who is familiar with the gear - the Kit Pool Maintenace Officer or something - who either makes sure it is maintained on schedule, or does it him/herself. Odds are either way they know how to check it out and maybe make minor adjustments. Take the reg and drop in in his/her lap. But not on the morning of the dive.

Whatever you do, don't make a dive - first OW esp! - with a reg you are not comfortable with.

BTW, nice thing about being English is choice of regs is easy - you can be patriotic, cheap, and discriminating at the same time, and just buy Apeks.

steve_r0binson once bubbled...
Cheers Oxyhacker and Ninja for the replies. I forgot to mention that the reg is not mine it is in the clubs pool of regs.

My question about adjusting it on the day is I dont know what reg I might get. I am going to buy a new one once I know a bit more on regs. I am also going to ask that all the regs are looked at at the club.

If you think free flow may be an issue because of cold temps and depth, does setting your adjustment from + to - while at depth minimize the possibility of free flow?

Steve,
This is gleaned from the very reliable book Dive Physics and Physiology; unfortunately it is filtered by my very unreliable memory. Corrections welcomed.

Your breathing response is basically driven by the level of CO2 in your system (via blood pH). If breathing becomes too much work your body will adjust to balance the work required to breathe with need for air. The result of this compromise is an elevated CO2 level (hypercapnia).

As you descend, the density of the air you breathe increases, the work required to move that air increases, so your CO2 levels increases. CO2, like N2, is narcotic. You can find plenty of info on hypercapnia on the net but basically it causes anxiety, headaches (skip breathers know this all too well), confusion and shortness of breath.

So, you have a bad reg, you descend, breathing gets a little harder, you start to feel out of breath, breath a little harder, become a little anxious, confused and even more out of breath… notice a trend? Even with a good reg you can work yourself into this spiral.

Note: if you find yourself in this situation, stop and relax (you know what’s going on now deal with it). Breathe deep and slow, collect your buddy and ascend.

I was at Stoney last weekend and it was 17 deg C down to 20m. A 7mm semi will be fine in the water. Depending on the weather you might be a bit chilly between dives. Taking a fleece or jacket for wearing over the top when you get out might be a good idea (Not your Sunday best though).

You can also rent regs at stoney, not sure of the quality or price though.

Cheers Nick can't wait to go there. Is the sea about 16 deg now or colder? Can you remember the first sea dive you did? what was you not prepared for. Loads of daft q's i know but just want to know. :)

Back
Top Bottom