Adjusting Isolator Valve Angle under pressure-?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a search for an old thread but couldn't seem to find it.
Is it ok or not to adjust the angle of an isolator valve on doubles with the tanks pressureized? I've read and have been told that it's ok AND only to do so with both tanks drained completely to avoid o ring damage in the manifold cross bar.

I went to an LDS today and had it done so that I could be sure I'd do it correctly in the future. He was going to drain the tanks completely but went ahead and adjusted with an estimated 300 to 400 psi remaining. (hopefully not more).

Will this be ok? Will any O ring problems manifest themselves immediately or over time only?

Thanks. I'll do a bathtub leak test or spray with soap solution but would like feedback.

Thanks!

I've adjusted them numerous time under full over-pressure. Seems some dive shops like to change the postion on me and I have to change it back when I pick them up. I leave the retaining nuts loose so I can adjust as necessary.

OMS SCUBA Valves & Manifolds

If you have barrel O rings, as the upper manifold on the above page has, feel free to adjust it under pressure. If it's like the lower manifold, drain it completely first.

Roak

Hi roakey. Yes it's (they're) a Thermo with barrel o rings. It was my understanding that it was ok to adjust under pressure with that system so it sounds like that was true.

That's a relief. I'll dive the set on Fri. It may be a solo dive so I wanted to double check.
Recreational only to 45 FSW so not a real big deal, but I like my gear done right. I'll be
adjusting myself from here on out now that I've seen it's as simple as I thought it would be.

Looking forward to seeing if the new angle helps me to reach every time or if it's worse :)

Actually, I just looked at your profile pic and it's at about the same angle as yours.

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom