Adjusting harness on backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sumguy

Contributor
Reaction score
Just how hard is it to adjust a DIR harness from warm water use to cold water? From wearing a 3mm wetsuit, to a 7mm, or drysuit, I mean. Does anyone do this, or does everyone just have two backplates and two harnesses?

It is simple - takes a few minutes to play with. I have two plates because I got a second one as as gift. But, with the D-rings, it makes it very simple to adjust.

Eric

One other issue...if you are using a heavier SS plate for cold water (negative buoyancy).......this might not be the optimal plate for warm water were you're wearing little or no exposure protection (AL may be better)

Eric -- DABWOD, I love it! ;-)

Originally posted by large_diver
One other issue...if you are using a heavier SS plate for cold water (negative buoyancy).......this might not be the optimal plate for warm water were you're wearing little or no exposure protection (AL may be better)
This brings up a point I've seen only obliquely addressed.

Should a coldwater diver who plans on the occasional warmwater trip forego getting one of those heavy plates in favor of a SS 6lb plate and a half (or full) V-weight? The weight would be easy to remove for tropical diving, and so expenses would be lower while maintaining standard gear configuration.

I have the 6lb plate already, so this is academic for me. In tropical waters, I simply wear a 3mm one-piece and use a bit of lead in the pockets.

Exposing my ignorance a bit further, how is a P-weight different from a V-weight?

[edited to add that obviously I meant in terms of single tank diving. I really have to be more careful replying to threads when using "view new posts". Thought this was in general equipment discussion. :rolleyes: ]

I may just be a bit goofy, but the only change I make between a drysuit with heavy undies and a 3mm shorty is to shorten the crotch strap a bit. I don't mess with the shoulders.

For weight in back of the plate I put a set of the small Zeagle pockets on the lower tank strap. With the drysuit I put 8#-10# in the pockets and the rest on a weight belt and for the shorty I just use a light weight belt. Either way it is an ss plate. I have an Al plate but haven't found the need to set it up.

JoelW

Even in tropical water with a 3mm wetsuit, I need more weight than the heaviest backplate provides. (12# in fresh water with a 2.5mm shortie and aluminum 80) Of course, I realize that with the 9# bp, I lose a lot of flexibility for adjusting my trim, and there wouldn't be as much in the way of ditchable weights.

2 options with one SS plate either 2 pieces of webbing 1 longer than the other by the amount of extra you'll need when diving a 7 mil.Sounds silly to me .The other option is one piece of webbing a little long in the summer.Thats if you really have to change it .I dive in spandex in the Keys and 7 mil 2 piece in the winter.I rarely ever move anything unless it has shifted due to operator error or breakage.I am nuetral empty with skin and al80,I need up to 22lbs with 7 mil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom