adjustable vs. non-adjustable 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogpaddler

Reaction score
I'm thinking about various regs (with AL being the first choice). Some brands offer adjustable second stages, some dont. Some have both. Is there an advantage w/diver adjustables, for most rec. diving? There is a small price differences if its within the same model line. Which matters if I start to look into the higher priced regs.

the theory is that you can adjust the "level" of gas getting to you, so that
you can turn it down at the surface (and prevent free-flow) and turn it
up at depth (and get more air)

i find that this is really useless. with a good reg, you can get all the air at
depth you need even in the lowest setting. also, with good technique
(stow the second stage properly or keep it face down in the water), you
dont' have to worry about freeflows.

so... my view is, the adjustable stuff is an uncessary expense. for example,
i have an Apeks 40 and an Apeks 50 second stages. the only difference is that
the 40 doesn't have the adjustment and the 50 does

well... i can't tell the difference between the two of them. they're basically the
same thing. i never mess with the controls on the 50 anyway.

I have both. Save the money. If its got a dive/pre-dive switch, you're golden.

I've never found the adjustable feature to be useful (except in a hat or helmet where you may want to set it to freeflow).

dogpaddler:
I'm thinking about various regs (with AL being the first choice). Some brands offer adjustable second stages, some dont. Some have both. Is there an advantage w/diver adjustables, for most rec. diving? There is a small price differences if its within the same model line. Which matters if I start to look into the higher priced regs.

From my understanding the internals are basically the same.
I have an IST R20 and an IST R10 Second stage and use them for backups. (Both Regs won the Rodales award a few years back). The R10 (Non adjustable) breathes better than the R20 (Adjustable) in Most positions. I have the R20 set wide open and never mess with the adjustments. Every one I know with an adjustable has it wide open.

My Proton Ice has no adjustment and I prefer it over any other.

In my Opinion it’s a useless feature.

I see thanks for the input!

I was leaning towards non adjustable. I tend to be a "fiddler". It drives me crazy. Last thing I need to do is fiddle at depth. I guess I just answered my own question lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom