Adjustable or Not - Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnohuk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello All,
i'm in a bit of a dilemma, I tried a pair of XXL Force Fins the other day with my Dry-suit with Size10 feet (UK Size), and they were brilliant... out of water easy to move around the boat, forgot they were there.. underwater super... my problem is... i've a budget and with all these airline weight limits I was wondering if I can get away with one set of fins of snorkelling & diving, whether I use my boots ( Scubapro 5mm) or the integrated dry-suit boots? with the adjustable FF and the insole thingy...

My diving is always drysuit in the UK with Size10 boot or neoprene bootie 5mm in the EU or warmer climes...

I don't particularly like to snorkel with booties ...

I suppose my question is ... is the insole thing and the adjustable nature of the adjustable FF enough to cover that range of size feet, barefoot thru to Size 10?

If not, could I just live with a normal bungee FF pro with bootie & dryduit boot which i know is larger that the bootie..

Thanks in advance John.

I would recommend getting the XXL Pro with and get a comfort instep with it. I wear the XXL with my drysuit and put an instep in to dive them with booties. You can put a second instep in and wear them barefoot, but I find to go that far I might as well get a smaller fin.

The problem I have with the adjustable force fin is that the heel area is not wide enough for my rock boots. Also in warm water with tropical boots I have trouble sculling. If I tighten the strap it causes pain on the top of my foot. I may swap out for originals. Can't beat the fins though.

I wear a 13 size shoe (US) and have no problems with a size XL rock boot. My heels while snug, and I want them that way, fit fine. The comfort insert doesn't quite reach all the way down the sides and sometimes interferes, slightly with the heel support, but they are really comfortable and when my achilles tendon is bothering me, the fin I wear, If not, I like my Pro's, they're a lot faster and easy to throw on. Think they're both on the 30-30-30 this month, so even on a budget you might could afford both. I noticed the Tan Delta's on the 30-30-30 and they're starting to make my mouth water. Then again those Extra's in Tan Delta, stiff, but ohh, so pretty, then maybe the.......... Maybe the Excellerator's will go on sale?, then I wouldn't have a Dilemma. You know those new Hockey fins of Messier's are looking pretty good... Ohh, I can't make up my mind!!!

rickthescot,
Thanks for the post! One of the beauties of the Force Fin is use of the comfort instep. So you can indeed have one pair of fins and have multiple sizes-drysuit without insteps and wet boots or socks with instep. So thinking about the Originals might be a good option for you as mentioned.
I like the Adjustable Force Fin, but only use it with a wet boot. The heel is narrow as you mentioned, but with an 10.5 foot and a 5mm boot or Flex boot with my Gates drysuit it works fine. I will not use it with the DUI Rock boot-I do have other pairs of Force Fins- , but I know customers who do. Bob just told me when he made the Adjustable Force Fin divers were just using rubber booties and was not designed for Rock boots..
The Adjustable Force Fin is a built up Force Fin which delivers a lot power, having the Force Wings option is also a huge plus and adds an advanced function to your fins. Sculling, I always try to Slow Down at first to find out how to work the particular blade I am using, I do use it under the ships doing commercial work and I am sculling like a mad man with tools and hoses abound, it does work for me I do have a lot of time on them and that just might be it.
The fact that you have pain when you tighten down your straps is no good and I would recommend you sit back and preform the initial adjustment again and when donning the fin make sure the comfort instep goes into place on the bridge of your foot without manipulating the instep into place.

It sounds like you have lots of opportunity to dive so I look forward to hearing from you and working towards a Force Fin option that is right for you!
Feel free to PM or call.

Oh that's just great. Take away all the things I was working on the justify the purchase of another set of fins.. Just kidding. I do love the power these fins produce. They are much easier on my knees than my old Avantis were. I can fit booties fine, it is just my size 10 Oceanic hard soles that will not fit. Not a real issue as I am not diving cold water any more. Sculling is just likely a technique that I need to master with these. Thanks to Blair and Bob!

Rickthescot, Thanks for your comments. The Force Fin Adjustable was made over 15 years ago. At one time I was going to pull them off the market and a Mares Sales rep from Hawaii said it was his favorite fin. I also had a wonderful Dive Shop "Heartland Scuba" owner Ken Clausen who only wanted this model year after year. When I was developing the Variable Thrust Technology someone asked me why they were not on the Original Force Fin Design. I was not about to change that shape since it was perfect for what it did. So, I did not want to spend 6 months making all the sizes for a Force Fin with VTT and I was becoming into this "Thing" of adjusting foot size from Heartland, Nebraska pond diving to the Bonaire, Nekon live aboard diving. Since the uniqueness of this design was never covered in the Press, only those who know it's benefits have been rewarded. Unfortunately Ken passed away in a sad hunting accident, and his friend Brian Shreves now runs this great Dive Store.
This model has caught on over the year's and now they are shipped each day. You bring up the point of DUI Rockboot's (I have a pair) in the Adjustable. Your right they did not fit...so may be it is time to make another model for sizes above Large. I will put into the system a larger model for xl, xxl,xxxl. Thank you for joining us in making Fin History. Happy New Year.Heartland Scuba Center

doesn't the float tube already fit the rock boots? I always thought of the Float Tube as the big brother to the Adjustable, its just missing the ability to add wings.

Meesier42, Yes the Float Tube model does fit larger foot sizes..and boots, but I designed it for Floating tubing. A popular product for my Fly Fishing Stores.[URL="http://www.cabelas.com/"]http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com/[/URL] I have found to my surprise some divers who were using this model for diving with big boots. So down the road I will make a larger Adjustable Force Fin, with VTT. Don't worry this Hockey fin is going to be made in the material which will knock your trunks off. I will let you know when it is being shipped your way. Thanks for the support Pal and Happy New Year.

you know I look forward to it everyday, carefully checking my front porch for the delivery man. But hey, I hope your holiday break was great, I'll probably call in tomorrow to say hi and ask about your break, I really hope you didn't spend the entire time fiddling with the Hockey fin and you got a chance to actually go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom