Adjustable focus torches - what do you use the wider modes for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnBloodbeard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi brains trust!
I've hit decision paralysis over torches - I was considering a couple of the adjustable focus ones (mix of day and night diving, but mostly for night), but from reading, seems like people tend to use spot lights for night diving.
So, those who like adjustable focus torches - what do you use the wider angles for? And do they work with mid-ranges or do you tend to be all-out or all-in?

Also, for torches going up to 800, 1000 or more lm....what do you use the brighter settings for? Murky water mostly?

Just trying to work out if there is much benefit in an adjustable, or if I'm better off just getting a spot of some description (and what power)

I do not usually use a spot light for night diving, unless its also murky. I mostly dive tropical water with good viz, and prefer to have a soft light over a broader area to find critters. And I try not to shine a spot on critters at night, as they’re not generally happy with that.

Generally speaking I will use the spot mode for tech diving such as caving as it is easy to signal and point things out. Flood works better for video lighting and night diving. Unless the water is real clear lower power settings work better as the reflection off crap in dirty water tends to blind one much like driving with high beams on in fog or snow. As @Damselfish has pointed out critters don’t like the spot at night. On a night dive in Bonaire I once lit up a Sargentmajor, blinding it and had a tarpon shoot out from under me and gobble it up. Then I had to listen to my divebuddy yell “Murderer” at me through his reg for the next 10 minutes. Right now my all around go to light is a Sola2500S/F that I generally use on the lowest setting when just swimming around, only changing when I want to signal or video something. Good luck and be safe.

As the others have mentioned, it really depends on where you dive. Where I normally dive with lower visibility, spot is more useful as a signalling and pathfinding tool. Flood mode only becomes useful for photo or video when you're close to the subject. Power settings are about finding the right compromise between battery life, sufficient illumination, and minimizing backscatter from the murk. More likely than not, you're actually reducing power or switching to spot mode when it's murky to prevent blinding yourself or others.

I have a Sola 1200 S/F that has spot and flood modes that is now the light on my camera rig, having moved on to a canister light for my primary. I would consider a light with both modes for maximum flexibility if this is your first light. When I was diving in the tropics, I found both modes useful for illuminating a wider area or shining deeper into cracks, day or night.

The spillover or spot is great for wreck and cavedivers, Its very helpful to see as much of the picture as possible not just a spot where your light is pointed.
Its also good for spotting those pesky lionfish that overrun all the wrecks:-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom