Adirondacks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any small adirondac lakes with good to great vis? My wife wants to rent a cabin where we can kayak without being harrassed by loads of jetskies and motorboats and where I can do some decent diving. Suggestions???

Where were you thinking? There are a couple guys I'm expecting to chime in on this.... Tony? Jim? Ya reading this?

you will likely find them to be of significant silt bottoms, in most cases fairly shallow, and with the acid rain, many are sterile. I'd liken it to quarry diving....

Now, some of the man made ones (like Cranberry) have some interesting attractions: one end is an old dump. you wouldn't believe the bottles we have pulled up there over the years....

you have to like the tea colored water to dive and enjoy it!!!!
blue mt. lake is one that doesn't have the tannin tint
couple of old railroad cars out from the beach,but cold and deep!
mirror lake in lake placid
lake george
all nice-all cold!!!!!
all jet ski infested!!!!
cranberry lake for sure,if you want to get away from it all!!
my hometown
viz is good but because of the tannin,you need lights-temp not bad-low 70's in july/august
165 miles around it-most state owned so no camps or houses
have fun
yaeg

I would suggest you rent a house on the St Lawrence and bring a rocket launcher that only holds 7 rounds for the Jet skis and the idiots in their power boats. J yaeger probably knows the Adirondacks as well as anyone.

Along those lines - anyone ever dive in the quarry near Star Lake? Thought about it a bunch, but never actually gave it a shot...

M

I love the Adirondacks, I grew up there and try to spend as much time as possible up there hiking in the summer, but I can't see diving in the lakes to be honest. Maybe Lake George would be good, but plenty crowded. You could try avalanche lake if you don't mind carrying gear to avalanche pass. It's only about 5 miles and 800 ft vertical....

Then again there are so many small lakes, some of them must be decent diving. Drysuit temps for sure.

Along those lines - anyone ever dive in the quarry near Star Lake? Thought about it a bunch, but never actually gave it a shot...

M
the old j and l steel pit is a locked down area
i do,however, know the caretaker
we plan on diving it this spring
a few of my freinds have covertly dived it!

Where were you thinking? There are a couple guys I'm expecting to chime in on this.... Tony? Jim? Ya reading this?

Anywhere the vis is good, we can kayak, and rent a cabin nearby. I really have no preferences.

Lows Lake / Bog River Flow is a large fresh water lake system, very primitive. I've only snorkeled it. The water is clear and in the 60's in June, a little warmer later in the summer. Great largemouth bass fishing. If you hit it right you can hook into a fish a every cast for a couple of hours at a time. I've never caught anything but large mouth bass there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom