Addtion to Fiji trip: Vanuatu or Tonga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaaralex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Fiji beginning NOVEMBER and we are thinking of incorporating one more nearby place, either Vanuatu, or Tonga, and spend some 4-5 more days there. Tonga has whales, Vanuatu has wrecks.. from diving point of view it seems both should be great. Logistically it seems the flights to both places from Fiji are also similar price.

Personally I m by a tiny bit more in favor of going to Tonga, as Vanuatu is closer to Solomon or New Caledonia, so it can be incorporated to some other diving trip more easily than Tonga. So my questions are:
Is beginning November good season for Tonga?
Is it easy to arrange diving (with whales) at the last-minute?
Is Tonga good diving even if not on live-aboard?
Any good diveshop/accomodation there? (We prefer "a straw hut on forgotten romantic beach" to a "luxurious resort".)

I would really appreciate your advice or recommendations or some recent experiences :)

Thanks, L.

i'd choose tonga for whales/fishlife/coral and vanuatu for wrecks - i reckon you should choose your destination based on your diving preference! If you do the Coolidge in vanuatu be sure to do a night dive on the wreck - INCREDIBLE!!

Was in Tonga a few months ago. This info's probably too late (since this thread got bumped probably after your trip), but whale season in Tonga is over - and it's primarily (only?) snorkeling with whales, not diving with them.

As far as accommodations, Mounu Island looked absolutely beautiful when the dive boat dropped off some people there. It is a bit far out from town, so you may wanna factor that in (though it seemed like most/all of the ops will pick you up/drop you off). I had a great time with Dive Vava'u, although my time was roughly 80% whale watching/snorkelling, 20% diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom