Additional filtration for Rix SA-6B

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There's someone local who has a Rix SA-6B for sale. They say they don't know the full history of it, but it has had two stages overhauled in the last 20 operating hours, and is functional. I can get a good deal.

It has been used for industrial high pressure air and has no filtration beyond the stock moisture separators.

I anticipate about 100 fills a year. I keep my steel cylinders in an area that gets cold in the winter so it's vital that the air be completely dry, or they will corrode.

I would like to be pumping oxygen-compatible air so that I can keep the alternative of partial-pressure blending open to me.

What filtration should I be looking for?

At a minimum, you need to remove moisture using molecular sieve (13x). And you should get a PMV and check valves for the filter you end up using/adding (set PMV to around 2,000 PSI)
And for OCA, you should also add a 2 micron filter at the outlet of the filter tower.

So basically, from the outlet of the last separator, to a check valve, then to filter tower, then to 2 micron filter, then to PMV then to fill whip.

Make sure to add a bleed valve after the check valve, or before the PMV, so you can drain the pressure out of the filter tower when you need to replace the cartridge or do inspections.
And add a gauge that reads the pressure between check valve and PMV.

But, you can also use a triplex filter cartridge, which will take care of CO and other minor odors that might make its way to the intake of the compressor.

Ex:
Filter tower: August Industries - 33" Filter Tower
Check valve: August Industries - Check Valve 6,000 PSI
PMV: Priority Valves | FILTER TECHS
Drying only filter cartridge: August Industries - Filter Cartridge for MAKO PD-1503
Triplex filter cartridge: August Industries - Filter Cartridge for MAKO PD-1803

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom