Adding weight to a tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

strawhouse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have just started really focusing on reducing my weight and getting over the issue of being overweighted. I am new to diving ( around 15 dives ) and I have finally put together all my own equipment! When I did my first OW dive I was using 43lbs (I know) but I have got it down to 32lbs in freshwater. My BC is weight integrated and rated for 30lbs but I still need another 2lbs, I hate using a weight belt because I find it quite uncomfortable. My question is, is it possible/has anyone attached additional weight to their tank using their weight belt? I was thinking of just cutting down the length of the belt and sinching it around the base of the tank with a 2lb weight on it.
Good, Bad, Stupid? Let me know

If you are going to attach a weight to your tank, why not do it with a tank cam strap , instead of a weight belt?

A lot of bc's will have trim pockets on the tank band. I know mine has two rated at 5lbs a piece and I'm pretty sure if you dont have any that they can be purchased.

... I was thinking of just cutting down the length of the belt and sinching it around the base of the tank with a 2lb weight on it.
Good, Bad, Stupid? Let me know
They make weight pockets that can loop directly through the tank straps.
http://www.seasoftscuba.com/products.php?productid=SSPKN

SSPKN.jpg

My BC is weight integrated and rated for 30lbs but I still need another 2lbs, ....

I thought the BC rating was the lift capacity. Is the issue that the next two pounds won't fit, or might compromise the ditching feature of the weight integration? :idk:

Holy smokes that's a lot of weight!!

Experiment with zip ties. You will drop more weight. Save your money for air. Find a good fill. That adds weight.

Switch to a steel tank, that will add 4 to 6 pounds of negative buoyancy so you can drop weights from your pockets too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom