adding used strobe (SL960) to EcoShot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heydn62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought a used SL690 to use with my Ecoshot. Any tips on setup and initial use? I don't have a flash link cable and I can't find the internal flash deflector that came with the camera. Are either/both absolutely necessary? Never used a strobe before, so any advice would be appreciated.

I realize I'm using older products and technology, but I only get a chance to do a dive trip a couple of times a year, so I'm not looking to upgrade, just maximize performance with what I have.

Thanks.

For the flash set-up to work best, it is recommended to have both the deflector and the flash link. If you were to use the deflector by itself, the positioning of the flash head would be limited and crucial to insure that it fires off the slave sensors on the bottom of the head. The flash link directs the cameras inner flash directly to the sensors firing 100%.

At the minimum you would need the deflector but I suggest the flash link as well to avoid any problems.

You can order both through you LDS

Joe

Thanks Joe,

Is there anything I should set up on the SL321 other than just the external flash mode? How important is a diffuser? I saw where someone recommended using a coffee filter as a diffuser.

Doug

Doug, The camera is programmed to sync with the strobe in External Flash mode so that would be the best. Since you have the Sl960 which is a fixed full power flash, the diffuser will help "tone" down the output/light from the flash. This will help when you are working in clear water and are closer to your subject. Going back 30+ years, we used to use pantyhose on our lenses when doing potraits to give a soft effect. Sure a coffee filter will work, I guess but the SL968 diffuser is made specifically and will help provide an evenly diffused light.

Were you able to get the deflector and Flash Link?

Joe

Doug, The camera is programmed to sync with the strobe in External Flash mode so that would be the best. Since you have the Sl960 which is a fixed full power flash, the diffuser will help "tone" down the output/light from the flash. This will help when you are working in clear water and are closer to your subject. Going back 30+ years, we used to use pantyhose on our lenses when doing potraits to give a soft effect. Sure a coffee filter will work, I guess but the SL968 diffuser is made specifically and will help provide an evenly diffused light.

Were you able to get the deflector and Flash Link?

Joe

Haven't got the deflector and link yet, but I will. Waiting to find out if the place I usually buy from can get the deflector so I don't have to buy from 2 different places.

I appreciate your advice. Pantyhose, eh?

Doug

They should be able to get it no problem.

Got it all at ScubaToys. Now I just have to plan some dives. Testing it topside, flash seems very harsh even with the difuser. I'm assuming this will correct itself underwater. Is there a good way to know when to use the diffuser, or is this just one of those things that you get a feel for over time?

Doug

Doug, The flash will fire at 100% power all the time so it will be bright. I would recommend the diffuser but also practice "feather" or "fringe" lighting by not having the flash pointed directly at your subject but more off to the side which has the outer portion of the light hitting your subject with less intensity.
Another thing is that when the Mini is in the External Flash Mode, you can hit the flash button and set it in Macro flash, the flash icon will have a little flower beside it, and this will close the camera down a bit as well. Take a couple of shots with and without this macro flash setting on land to see how it affects the shot.

Joe - I appreciate the tips. One last question:

If I upgrade to a newer camera (DC1000 or 1200), is there any reason I couldn't still use this strobe. They don't require the 960D, do they?

Back
Top Bottom