Adding second dump valve???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bythesea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just took my first dive with a Poseidon Unisuit and while I can reach the manual dump it's definetly adding to the task loading. I like the suit but ascending from 70' after my buddy silted me out I was feeling pretty busy pulling my wing dump with my left hand and pushing my left bicep suit dump with my right hand. I'd much prefer to add an auto-dump and I have a few of the automatic Viking valves that were on Ebay this summer. Any real objections to having a second dump that spring to mind beyond the obvious "more failure points"?
Thanks, Brad

Aside from inviting a suit flood, try leaving the valve fully open on your left shoulder, this should allow the air build up to pretty much escape on its own with an occasional raising of the left arm to invite air up, then pulling your arm back toward your body to force the air out. If this was the first time in the water in a drysuit, you really should get some more dives on it before you make a dramatic change like you mentioned.
If you need to release air from both the suit & your BC simultaneously, try reaching across your body with your right arm to pull on your dump valve on your BC (assuming you have that setup) & raising & squeezing your left arm w/ the valve fully open. I personally wouldn't add another dump valve.

I know several people who have added shoulder auto dump valves or wrist valve to UNISUITs with good results. Personally I'm with Dirkadiver and would leave well enough alone.

Can you remove the manual dump and replace it wth an automatic? Even if it means a new opening I think I have seen some dummy covers that fill the hole.

Otherwise the manual valve being manual would not seem to be a big flood risk compared to the automatic that most of us have anyway.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom