adding metal D rings to a bc ( tusa 2100)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind many BCs don't have d rings because the webbing or other materials they are constructed from are not strong enough to allow anything substantial to be attached to them.

You are potentially attaching a stout hanging point to a weak foundation.

hmm good point :) that didnt actually cross my mind , its just gonna be line reel though , so will be fine , when i eventually start taking ponies or what not ill get a b/p wing rather

hmm good point :) that didnt actually cross my mind , its just gonna be line reel though , so will be fine , when i eventually start taking ponies or what not ill get a b/p wing rather

I understand that.

Modify your gear as events warrant.

When you decide to go further, the gear you chose to carry will be apparent.

hmmm thats a good idea , now to try source 1

I picked up a Tusa BCJ 6900 for a sweet deal ($199.95). My DM and other instructors liked it except they all mentioned the plastic D rings. Plastics are probably fine, but a quick trip to ScubaToys, $7, and 30 minutes later I had removed all the plastic D rings and replaced them with stainless steel D rings.

I just cut the rings where they were welded and fed them through the loops in the BC where the plastic rings had been. Then I squeezed them together so they are tight.
I was worried about cutting the rings, but the reality is that the fabric and sewing will tear long before the D ring bends out of shape!

KO :cool2:

I picked up a Tusa BCJ 6900 for a sweet deal ($199.95). My DM and other instructors liked it except they all mentioned the plastic D rings. Plastics are probably fine, but a quick trip to ScubaToys, $7, and 30 minutes later I had removed all the plastic D rings and replaced them with stainless steel D rings.

I just cut the rings where they were welded and fed them through the loops in the BC where the plastic rings had been. Then I squeezed them together so they are tight.
I was worried about cutting the rings, but the reality is that the fabric and sewing will tear long before the D ring bends out of shape!

KO :cool2:
Just as long as you are not trying to do something way beyond what people are talking about here, such as slinging a large cylinder, such as an al80...

you stated you but wieght in your pocket that is a bad recipie for a diver with your experience the bcd pictured does not have weight intergration so a belt or weight system is needed and as far as dee rings go you can use ss 2 inch rings and cave tie in proper area it sounds like your diving a lot and your skills are growing so i suggest sell that bcd and get one suited for your type of diving . one of the common problems with altering equipment is you may not fully understand how this will effect the operation of the gear.

Just as long as you are not trying to do something way beyond what people are talking about here, such as slinging a large cylinder, such as an al80...

Nothing overly heavy will be attached to the new stainless D-rings on the BC. At least nothing the original plastic D rings would not have supported. The stainless are just bright and easy to see vs. black plastic. (especially underwater)
I wouldn't have attempted to hook an al80 to the plastic D rings either..

If I were to attempt to sew anything on.... nothing would be safe!!

If I need to attach an al80, I'll be getting a BP/W, something with a serious harness!

I went with the Tusa back inflate because it seemed good for recreational diving and weight integrated pockets. Kinda the best of both worlds until I am doing enough serious diving to justify the cost of a BP/W. (The Tusa BCJ 6900 was $199.95)

Thanks for the input.
KO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom