Adding an inflation valve to a surface drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

high_order1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I don't know what I don't know.

Assuming that a surface drysuit is roughly equal in materials and construction to a submersible one (probably not), how hard would it be to make two ports for the inflation and dump valves to convert the one to the other?

Must be several factors, or seems like I would have seen this discussed ad nauseum.

Thanks!

the issue is that the main zipper is not always suitable either. so even if you can deal with the fact most surface suits are bilam, you might find it starts leaking at depth.

Or if you consider the Whites Fusion, made from a very thin stitched breathable nylon sack with some
more thin stuff over the top then if you had a surface suit and had some valves I would cetainly dive it

I was talking to a manufacturer on aliexpress that could custom make me a trilam suit with allegedly a good zipper. Didn't offer valves though, and said his would not work for dive purposes.

I thought maybe the osmotic pressure against the vapor barrier, they select a cheaper version for topside, or perhaps one that allows greater breathability.

Then I watched several videos where people were testing 'cheap' surface suits, even swimming a few feet deep, and... no leaks.

I assumed there was some basic knowledge I was missing on the topic. Thank you all for not hating on me.

Paddling drysuits are meant to be more breathable but water resistant for quick immersion at/near the surface. They are not intended for diving at depth. Swimming a few feet deep, for example, is just a tad over 1 ata. Go to 10m/33ft and you are at 2 ata, and so on and so forth. Then you have the issue of trying to install inflator and exhaust valves without them leaking. In the end you will likely end up with a worthless drysuit, especially if you get it from Aliexpress.

Drysuits are definitely not cheap, so I understand your desire to try to find a workable solution for less. But you get what you pay for. A Sealskin Nova, for example, goes for about $1000 and will be a much better drysuit than some Frankenstein'ed Aliexpress paddling suit.

I was talking to a manufacturer on aliexpress that could custom make me a trilam suit with allegedly a good zipper. Didn't offer valves though, and said his would not work for dive purposes.

I thought maybe the osmotic pressure against the vapor barrier, they select a cheaper version for topside, or perhaps one that allows greater breathability.

Then I watched several videos where people were testing 'cheap' surface suits, even swimming a few feet deep, and... no leaks.

I assumed there was some basic knowledge I was missing on the topic. Thank you all for not hating on me.
Quick question, when you say "osmotic pressure" do you mean water pressure? (Osmotic pressure has a specific meaning that is not what I think you intend. If you did then I suppose it would somehow depend on salinity of the water you're in compared to some thing on the other side of some membrane that is semipermeable and allows water through. Given I just confused myself with that last sentence, I'm really hoping you meant water pressure or ambient pressure.)

It's not too tough to add valves. I've toyed with the idea of putting a dump valve at the wrist of my suit. Dove an Apollo for years that had this, and loved it.

Paddling drysuits are meant to be more breathable but water resistant for quick immersion at/near the surface. They are not intended for diving at depth. Swimming a few feet deep, for example, is just a tad over 1 ata. Go to 10m/33ft and you are at 2 ata, and so on and so forth. Then you have the issue of trying to install inflator and exhaust valves without them leaking. In the end you will likely end up with a worthless drysuit, especially if you get it from Aliexpress.

Drysuits are definitely not cheap, so I understand your desire to try to find a workable solution for less. But you get what you pay for. A Sealskin Nova, for example, goes for about $1000 and will be a much better drysuit than some Frankenstein'ed Aliexpress paddling suit.
My main issue is body health. I put on a TON of weight over the last 18 months. I may stay this way; maybe I will lose it again. I am not investing in 'fat' clothes, either. But I don't want to get in our local water without a barrier; it's pea green and some days it stinks. I had considered it as low-impact exercise on my knees.

And, I don't forsee me doing anything too deep, so I thought the FrankenSuit or spending a hundred dollars on tape and glue to bodge up a used suit might be a good hedge until I am knowledgeable enough to know what I want in my (more) forever suit.

Quick question, when you say "osmotic pressure" do you mean water pressure? (Osmotic pressure has a specific meaning that is not what I think you intend. If you did then I suppose it would somehow depend on salinity of the water you're in compared to some thing on the other side of some membrane that is semipermeable and allows water through. Given I just confused myself with that last sentence, I'm really hoping you meant water pressure or ambient pressure.)

It's not too tough to add valves. I've toyed with the idea of putting a dump valve at the wrist of my suit. Dove an Apollo for years that had this, and loved it.
I was considering that my understanding of tri and quad laminate suits one of the layers is a semipermeable membrane that allows 'sweat' out but prevents water intrusion to varying degrees.
My experience with that is surface weather wear, repairing leaking seams and holes, and to a lesser extent water filtration. (... and kidneys)

I thought, perhaps in a cost saving measure there were different membranes with differing ability to resist intrusion at pressures. Perhaps they are lighter and more flexible, while ones that survive at multiple atmospheres are thicker, heavier and inflexible. (Again, I don't know what I don't know).

Perhaps it is more correct to simply say water pressure resistance, but I felt like the membrane was osmotically allowing vapor to go one way and resist liquid from the other, and so, described my notion.

You considering a wrist dump gives me a little hope. (I thought about one at the ankles, honestly). My impression of most divers are that they don't really enjoy custom or modified gear, and so they never really considered what was different in a high end surface suit versus a low-tier diving suit and simply ponied up 3 grand... buy once cry once?

I thought, punch a hole, then glue the layers, then apply tape or rubber to dress the edge of the circle.

Who? Us? Here?

Thank you all for not hating on me.

The spec on some or those surface suits, if people decided to read more than they know
TWENTY METRES and I would hazard, that explode depth would be far greater than that
and leak does not mean expode to be taken to the bottom of the sea by a giant octopus
So if you've grown you can't be blowing bucks willy nilly on stuff so if you can't get used
1717193589649.png

Eye_of_the_Beast_-_DVD_cover (2).jpg

Hah! Grommets to the rescue!
Thanks for the lead.

There are a lot of surface suits that aren't too old manufactured for over-water pilots, I thought they had good zips in them, that are relatively inexpensive at the cost of a boring color pallet, that might make a good test article.

Back
Top Bottom