Adding a second strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently using a single DS-125 with a Canon EOS-10D.

Should I add a second DS-125 or splurge for a DS-200?

The DS-200 is a nice strobe - but whether you add a second strobe and what type it is depends on what you are shooting and the strength, angle, and quality of light you need. The 200 can have a higher output than the 125, so presuming you're going to the 200 over the 125 for the additional output power, is it ok that the other strobe might not be able to put out as much?

Splurge. You can never have enough horsepower. Even with two same-model strobes, I rarely have them set to identical output, so one side is "key" lighting.

All the best, James

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference since they are both rated to the same colour temp. While the 125 recycles faster than the 200 which would be my deciding factor, the 200 puts out an awsome amount of power. So much so, I think you'll find you'll need to use diffusers on it quite often. The angle of coverage of 2 X 125's is good enough for most of the wide angle and fisheye lenses on the market.

fdog:
Even with two same-model strobes, I rarely have them set to identical output, so one side is "key" lighting.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

_Bella_:
So much so, I think you'll find you'll need to use diffusers on it quite often. The angle of coverage of 2 X 125's is good enough for most of the wide angle and fisheye lenses on the market.
Why not just turn the power down on it?

On the other hand if a 125 is really going to be enough, it would be nic to have something that's smaller and lighter.

grunzster:
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Why not just turn the power down on it?

I do turn strobes down, but I also like the softer and wider beam angle that a diffuser provides.

Back
Top Bottom