Added lead for 2.5mm hooded vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi

My current gear is perfectly weighted with 4lbs of added lead (total weight with 4lbs of lead + backplate, STA, fins, lights etc. is 12lbs) for 5mm.

I picked up a 2.5mm hooded vest (SP everflex neoprene in size L) which I will wear over the wetsuit.

How much lead would you add to compensate, if any? I've got 1lbs increment weights. One of those things I want to get approximately right in theory before confirming in practice. Also diving got cancelled this weekend so no question is too small!

Edit: It sinks between 2 and 3 lbs in my freshwater pool so let's call it 2.5lbs in fresh, approx. 3lbs in salt? Perhaps just 2lbs at 5m depth?

Thank you

If it is neutral in your pool, it (hood + lead) must weight as much as the water it displaces.

How much more does that much sea water weigh?

If it is neutral in your pool, it (hood + lead) must weight as much as the water it displaces.

How much more does that much sea water weigh?

I usually multiply lead in fresh by 0.25 for lead in salt, see my calculation above.

It is neutral between 2 and 3 lbs (say 2.5), so around 3 in salt. Then my assumption is to drop 1 lbs for compression at 5m. Is this wishful thinking to keep the number I need to add even, so that I don't have 1lbs more on one side?

2.8lb surface SW, 2.7lb fresh water (~3% fresh vs. salt)
~2.1lb @15' (an extra half atmosphere, but the neoprene cells offer some resistance to compression).

Add 1 lb each side, control the rest with breathing.
0.8 lb = 1.5 cup of air maximum
At 15'? You're perfect.
Near the surface? Exhale about a cup.

Thank you, will go with 2 extra in the upper cam band trim pockets, given that this is top-heavy neoprene, and see how it goes :diver1:

Put it in a mesh bag......place weights in the bag until it sinks in water......that’s how much you’ll need.

Reactions: Zef
Put it in a mesh bag......place weights in the bag until it sinks in water......that’s how much you’ll need.

Yeah I've done that in fresh water as per my initial post. I wanted to confirm that my assumptions for fresh to salt and then to safety stop depth made sense also. It takes a bit over 2lbs to sink but I'll cut it down to 2 to account for 1.5 ATA.

I am a bit annoyed by the gear change because I just tweaked my relatively new gear setup for trim and neutral at the safety stop, and I don't want the hooded vest to throw out either or require an unbalanced weight distribution if I need to add an uneven amount of lead across my 4 fixed weight pockets.

Yeah I've done that in fresh water as per my initial post. I wanted to confirm that my assumptions for fresh to salt and then to safety stop depth made sense also. It takes a bit over 2lbs to sink but I'll cut it down to 2 to account for 1.5 ATA.

I am a bit annoyed by the gear change because I just tweaked my relatively new gear setup for trim and neutral at the safety stop, and I don't want the hooded vest to throw out either or require an unbalanced weight distribution if I need to add an uneven amount of lead across my 4 fixed weight pockets.

For an individual item with only 2lb positive buoyancy the difference from fresh to salt will be negligible at 3%. Is the hood vented as air sometimes gets trapped?

Is the hood vented as air sometimes gets trapped?

Oddly enough it is not, however, I took a heated O ring pick to it and it now has 3 vent holes :wink:

They are only 1-2mm wide, I may widen them or add more if I get the cone head. Yet to dive with it thanks to the large swell here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom