Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. No non-class dives beween OW and AOW. Do you get the sense among your classmates that this is common?

rx7diver

I did AOW immediately after OW (1999). The instructor said we were the best group he'd ever taught and we were ready for it. Of course, we took that statement hook, line and sinker! I don't think it was a bad thing, in my opinion, AOW is more about supervised diving rather than diver education.

Interesting. No non-class dives beween OW and AOW. Do you get the sense among your classmates that this is common?

rx7diver
…Yes, I did OW & AOW consecutively back in ‘77. However, I was able to find a willing and able dive buddy who went with me on at least 2 dives after OW while i was taking AOW course. I resided in FL for those months before moving back to Virginia….kinda did the same thing 3 years later as I took PADI courses in Virginia on my way to Divemaster and hopefully Instructor. Sadly my instructor training was put on back burner which ended up being permanent due to responsibility and a career as well as a tanking economy on a number of occasions. Here I am, older but having the desire to continue diving.

Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84.
giantfroginthepool

Hi, we run a dive shop in the Philippines and I would estimate that 30-40% of our customers are over 50. Most of these have been scuba diving for many years, although mainly as 'holiday' divers. At the moment we have two different guests, one British in his early 60's, and another Korean in his late 60's.

65+. Have slowed down a bit for the usual reasons and am now only doing warm water diving.

53...certified with my wife since 1999. We did a DSD on our honeymoon 1996 :) .....became a dive pro about 3 years ago and really like it. Sharing the sport with new divers is fun! We try to take at least 2 Caribbean dive trips a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom