• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Accumulated 02 following a large number of repetitive Nitrox dives over 3 days.

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba' started by Astran, Sep 30, 2019.

1. jgttrey

jgttrey ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Who does that? Maybe at the fill station someone might say "this one's got 100 bar of O2 in it" but if someone said here's a cylinder with a "PO2 of 100bar" I think we'd look at him like he had rocks in his head.

Madacub and rjack321 like this.
  2. jgttrey

jgttrey ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I think they are used interchangeably by divers who actually use those terms on regular basis.

Yes, I get that some posters have wondered if there is a difference, but in actual practice I've never, ever heard someone use "PO2" to mean anything other than PPO2.

3. BlueTrin

BlueTrin ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    When I try to google it, PO2 seems to be used for partial pressure of O2 but in your blood (for medical sources)

4. GJC

GJC Solo Diver

I have a suggestion.

Because the p's mean different things to different people and because the p's by themselves don't provide enough information on exactly what you are referring to, let's eliminate the p's.

You can say O2 percent
    You can say O2 pressure using whatever pressure measurement you prefer.
    But you can't use p by itself anymore.

I might even remove the p from my keyboard to prevent me from using p's in the future.

BlueTrin likes this.
  5. doctormike

doctormike Medical Moderator Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Science doesn't work if "the p's mean different things to different people", and neither does scuba training.

PO2 1.4 means that the partial pressure of oxygen in the gas that you are breathing is 1.4 ATA. It is the product of the percentage of O2 in the gas (FiO2) and the depth in atmosphere.

Not sure what you mean by "pressure delivered", but PO2 is a partial pressure of O2. It's on a scale where 100% O2 at sea level is PO2 of 1.0. For the purposes of scuba physiology, we assume that we are always breathing gas at pretty close to ambient pressure, because otherwise you get pulmonary barotrauma.

"O2 percent" is FiO2, which is the percentage of all of the gas molecules in the mix that are O2

"O2 pressure" is a non-standard term, so I don't know what it means. "Tank pressure" - I know what that means, no matter what is in the tank

"P" means nothing in the context of this discussion. Pt or Ptotal are used to mean total gas pressure (i.e ambient pressure).

PO2 is used pretty widely in diving. I occasionally see PPO2 but I'm not sure what you are getting for the extra letter, since PO2 is such a standard usage. Insisting on PPO2 because it's more descriptive begs the question why we don't insist on writing out "Partial Pressure of Oxygen". We don't. We use PO2.

6. BlueTrin

BlueTrin ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Let’s hope someone does make his own definition of O then :)

7. Madacub

Madacub Contributor

Hi GJC, thanks for your response. I don't understand part of it. You say "The pulmonary symptoms just show up first". I think it depends. If you go straight to 140 feet on EAN32, CNS will show up first. Of course you know that. So I don't understand what you wrote.

8. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I don’t believe the definition or abbreviation for partial pressure changes just because it is at depth.

Virtually every medical text or scientific article I can find uses PO2 for partial pressure of oxygen. It seems that the diving community has adopted ppO2. And yes, in that context, they do seem to be used interchangably.

Madacub likes this.
  9. Madacub

Madacub Contributor

Hi doctormike, thanks for your response. Let me digest those bits regarding the Shearwater manual and the Shearwater blog post for a bit. (I had read the manual earlier, as well as the Shearwater blog post).

I think going down the path of OTUs is not going to add clarity at this time.

The Diverite article says "Note that these air breaks are intended to forestall symptoms of pulmonary oxygen toxicity; there is no risk of seizure or other CNS manifestations in these circumstances.". This seems to buttress what I am saying (?).

10. Madacub

Madacub Contributor

I really don't think he was trolling. It seems a long, long, long way to go for that purpose. But maybe I am too naive in the ways of the interwebs......(Or maybe there was more going on behind the scenes)