Accumulated 02 following a large number of repetitive Nitrox dives over 3 days.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP is trying to tamp down “dissent” in his thread.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Welcome to SB!

OP, you are trying too hard to not own your error. Give it up. You learned from it. You were lucky, this time. Next time you ignore THREE computers saying the same thing, maybe you won't be so lucky.

Are we on the same thread?

It has been clearly demonstrated and proven by a respected member of the SB community (who happens to not only be a very experienced diver but is also a scientist and retired physician), that Oceanic's 02 algorithm is so ultra conservative [by not taking into account the half life of 02 metabolism by the human body during the long surface interval while we are presumably asleep], that it's 02 warnings can be ignored for all practical purposes when diving a single tank on recreational Nitrox.

Even though a second, much less conservative computer is used by this diver, it has never ever, signaled an 02 warning. Not once. In dozens or hundreds of comparable repetitive recreational dives.

I'm quite satisfied with the answers I received on this thread and if I was in the same situation: single tank, recreational dive with EAN <40%, with my Oceanic warning me about 02 levels being dangerously high I would make the same decision to disregard such warnings. I do not intend to purchase a less conservative computer which will not be of any use to me whatsoever.

I get that people need to stick to whatever point they originally make and won't back down regardless of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and it's all the same to me. I got my answer.

When you are in a hole, quit digging.

Hey, I have an excuse and I'm sticking to it.

It has been clearly demonstrated and proven by a respected member of the SB community (who happens to not only be a very experienced diver but is also a scientist and retired physician), that Oceanic's 02 algorithm is so ultra conservative [by not taking into account the half life of 02 metabolism by the human body during the long surface interval while we are presumably asleep], that it's 02 warnings can be ignored for all practical purposes when diving a single tank on recreational Nitrox.

Even though a second, much less computer is used by this diver, it has never ever, signaled an 02 warning. Not once. In dozens or hundreds of comparable repetitive recreational dives.

I'm quite satisfied with the answers I received on this thread and if I was in the same situation: single tank, recreational dive with EAN <40%, with my Oceanic warning me about 02 levels being dangerously high I would make the same decision to disregard such warnings. I do not intend to purchase a less conservative computer which will not be of any use to me whatsoever.

I get that people need to stick to whatever point they originally make and won't back down regardless of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and it's all the same to me. I got my answer.
Oh dear. You seemed to have picked up on the posts you like and ignored the ones you don't. The issue is simple: at the time you ignored what the computers were telling you, you did not yet know you were diving a conservative computer. That was a mistake, but you were lucky.

Oh dear. You seemed to have picked up on the posts you like and ignored the ones you don't. The issue is simple: at the time you ignored what the computers were telling you, you did not yet know you were diving a conservative computer. That was a mistake, but you were lucky.
And just to emphasize again, there is nothing that defines liberal as right and conservative as wrong. (or the reverse) They are just two different approaches/opinions/philosophies, with different levels/degrees of assumed risk.

Wait though... is this dive computers, or politics?

@Astran

To quote Mr Rogers (2nd time in this thread).

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

ignore this post

Thanks for the GEB meme. It's been a while.

Ignore sign.jpg

Even though a second, much less computer is used by this diver, it has never ever, signaled an 02 warning. Not once. In dozens or hundreds of comparable repetitive recreational dives.

If your takeaway of all this is that there's just no need to monitor or account oxygen exposure, then you've missed the point.

If you don't want a computer with a different oxygen exposure algorithm, fine. You can check your dives and surface intervals on tables and figure half times and OTUs.

You seem to "dive hard." Fine, that's great. But when you're doing 4, 5, 6 dives a day at high-ish PO2, you are getting past the "typical" recreational situation. Validating your decision to ignore the computer you DO have because another diver (no matter how well respected) says it would have been okay on his computer - and then planning to keep doing it - is foolish. I bet he'd agree that he didn't intend for your walkway lesson to be "screw it, I just won't pay attention to it at all."

Are you GONNA die? Probably not. But good divers who want to dive hard take the time to dive smart. That's what makes them good divers. You came here for some constructive feedback. You got it. Take it constructively.

I get that some posts push buttons (hopefully not this one) but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Increaset? Is that you???????? Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom