Accomodation & diving in Tofo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,

Thanks to those who replied to my last post - you've sold me on Tofo!
Finally, my wife and I will be going for a week in October/November and doing the Adventure Deep Dive.
But we need to plan where to stay. Ideally we'd like to be as close to the centre as possible, but we are on a limited budget (max £30 per night). I'm guessing we'll need to take a casita or some kind of beach hut, but we want to make sure it's a restful holiday.
Can anyone recommend the best place to stay that is central (i.e. near Tofo scuba) but with the least noise and a certain level of cleanliness and comfort? Any feedback on Casa Barry, Fatima's Nest, Hotel Tofo Mar and Aquatico? Or is it a better bet to be somewhere out of town (e.g. Bamboozi)?
Many thanks for your advice!

James

P.S. any ideas on climate and chances of humpback viewing in the last week of October or first week of November? Is that a bit of a long shot?

P.P.S. What are the 'house reefs' like in the centre of Tofo? Is there good snorkelling straight off the beach?

Hi James, Aqauticos is good and next to the best dive centre in Tofo, and also has self-catering facilities. There is no snorkelling off the beach. Casa Barry is also good, a little more expensive, and further down the beach from Tofo Scuba, a five to ten minute walk. Fatima's is fine for food and drinks, but can get noisy so not a great place to stay. Have look here for a link to my article about Tofo - Mozambique and Kruger | Indigo Safaris

Christopher

Visit my web page plenty of accommodation listed

James

It seems as if you've settled on Diving with Tofo Scuba, so we won't try to sway your decision regarding the choice of dive center! :)

As for accommodations in Tofo, there are many options. Tofo Scuba isn't really central to Tofo, but is near the largest backpackers here, Fatima's Nest. Just down the road from Tofo and Fatima's is Bamboozi Beach Lodge. Arguably, it is quieter than Fatima's. It's a slightly longer walk out of town, but is blessed with a quiet beach which is a short, safe, beautiful walk to and from Tofo at all hours of the day or night. They run shuttles to and from town and will do late night pickups if arranged in advance. If you're looking for some peace and quiet, this may be a better choice.

Hotel Tofo Mar is under renovation at the moment, and is unlikely to be complete before your arrival. Casa Barry will likely be outside your price range.

Aquatico is adjacent to Tofo Scuba, so it will be convenient for your diving.

John's Place, in town near Diversity Scuba, also rents room which are clean and well priced. They're just across the road from Tofo On-line.

Humpbacks will likely be out of season when you arrive. Sorry, pal. They're amazing at the moment.

As for beach entry snorkeling, it doesn't really exist here in town. The reefs are either too deep or too far from shore. Most of the snorkeling happens on ocean safaris.

Hoping to see you in Tofo soon.

- The Team at Liquid Adventures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom