Accident off Waukegan Harbor 7/17/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I've never seen such a thing. In other cases you'll never hear anything beyond what is said here and on other forums like it. To my knowledge there is no mechanism for accidents to be analyzed and reported on by some one knowledgeable in diving. I think the diving community is in desperate need of such a thing but it isn't there and probably never will be. The police want to find out if there was a crime and any insurance companies want to get out of paying. You might be able to get a police report but but I doubt it would be useful and insurance companies are not going to share anything.

True enough. The DAN/SDM versions (such as they are) is what I was refering to, but not likely to survey this incident.

The Coroner's report (of Lake County, Waukegan, Illinois) would have substantial detail and would be public record.

Yes more to find out,was Steve on a rec dive or training? the weekend before he told me he was bumped from a rescue diver class,a rescue class is not at 110' its mostly all top side,Who was his buddy? a DM or a well Im not going to say,
I will know more monday night,Like the charter opp,And if it was a class,ect,Something did go wrong and until all the facts are in we just got to wait,
Im sure a few folks on this board know but just dont have the balls to come clean! I have had PM's<Seen post's on this posted and then deleted and chater and it all needs to be given to the investigators,cause I dont think the truth is out yet and to Steves family its just not right!
-Ted,Scuba texan,Nitrox babe ?
Dont live a lie,live the dream!
Brad

moneysavr:
Yes more to find out,was Steve on a rec dive or training? the weekend before he told me he was bumped from a rescue diver class,a rescue class is not at 110' its mostly all top side,Who was his buddy? a DM or a well Im not going to say,
I will know more monday night,Like the charter opp,And if it was a class,ect,Something did go wrong and until all the facts are in we just got to wait,
Im sure a few folks on this board know but just dont have the balls to come clean! I have had PM's<Seen post's on this posted and then deleted and chater and it all needs to be given to the investigators,cause I dont think the truth is out yet and to Steves family its just not right!
-Ted,Scuba texan,Nitrox babe ?
Dont live a lie,live the dream!
Brad

Dive operator was Enterprise Marine (http://www.captaindales.com/enterprise_marine.htm)
Both Owners were on board , so I heard through the local Grape Vine.

fishchaser:
Moneysavr, any update?
Not much more info, had a talk with a friend of the family at the service,
Glad to see some other divers made it Monday night!He did love to dive and all who got to know him liked him.
A hoseless SPG/ dive computer error on a air reading is at this time a leading cause,I dont like those things and now Im sure to stay away,
was on a dive boat were several divers had Err reads prior to a dive,and had to pass on the dive.
Hope we can all learn from this,know your bottom time,air rate=SAC at dive depth-this is easy to do.log your dives,air use,and man look at your dive tables,to trust
a computer just is wrong,have back up, a dive watch is so cheap now.
Oh by the way,Im hanging my dive bud on any dive over 65' FSW his name is PONY!
Brad

Frogman544:
Dive operator was Enterprise Marine (http://www.captaindales.com/enterprise_marine.htm)
Both Owners were on board , so I heard through the local Grape Vine.

In my past experiences, during the week Dave usually ran the boat. On weekend charters Dale has been on-board as well. Both keep an extremely watchful eye on the surface. I will dive from Enterprise any day. We're fortunate up here between Wisconsin, Illinois & Indiana with some good quality operations. Heck - up here there's probably only one boat I won't dive off of.

-Tim

'The Grain Barge'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom