Accessory Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris408

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When adding a canister light, backup light, reel, smb, camera, or whatever else, do you offset the added weight by removing lead weight? I'm thinking yes, considering the additional accessories, added up, would have a some affect to weight and trim. How do you account for your additional accessories? Do weigh your items, or just eyeball it?

Thanks.

As long as the items will be permanently attached to you then just be wearing them during the buoyancy check. I think that accounts for almost everything. An extreme example of what not to include would be a very big and negative lift bag. If you dialed yourself in perfectly with the bag and shot it at the end of the dive with a light cylinder you would suddenly find yourself dangerously positive and ascending out of control.

Also definitely consider them when determining trim. However while some accessories are heavy many are not as far from neutral buoyancy as you might first expect.

Pete

Depends on what it is and how buoyant it is. Weight and buoyancy are different. Something close to neutral, no. While my camera weights several pounds on land, it's within 1/2 lb (negative) of being neutral, not enought of a change to worry about. If it's something that is more than a couple of pounds negative buoyant I may or may not reduce weight depending on what it is. If its something that I can not easily ditch, a canister light for example then I would reduce weight. On the other hand I do not remove weight when carrying my pony, several pounds negative. There is the possibility I may remove it (OOA diver...that's what it's for) and lose those extra pounds. At that time I don't want to have to deal with being positive and having no way to adjust. Don't get too caught up in being exactly weighted. Dealing with a couple of pounds, esp neg, is not a big deal.

I'd worry about something that was very positive (making sure I weighted to compensate for it) but I don't worry about ending up a pound or two overweighted by adding small, negative things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom