Accessorizing a Ladyhawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking for ideas on how to mount stuff on my BCD. It a challenge.

Looking to attach light & knife in particular. I think I will use a retractable lanyard on one of the D-rings for the light and am considering mounting the knife on the LP hose. I have a UK Remora with the hose attachment. I don't know how comfortable I am with this though. I have an uneasy feeling putting a knife next to a hose. Does anyone else mount it this way?

Please share ideas if you have them.

Julie

I have a light attached to my right shoulder D-ring of my BC (I have a BP/W set-up). I don't know if putting the knife next to the hose is a good idea. I would be afraid I would accidentally take a slice out of it. (that's usually my kind of luck LOL)

Have you thought of attaching a pocket to one of the thighs of your wetsuit? You might be able to use that to hold your knife. I know that some of the on-line companies sell them.

I use a weight belt, and that allows me to attach knives/scissors. I know that with your BC, it has the weights integrated, right? So a pocket may be an option.

Just a thought, and good luck with your gear!

I have a small knife attached to the corrugated hose on my wing. The hose mount didn't lay flat enough and it kept getting tangled in the other hoses when stored. I don't worry about it being close to the hose. I seldem ever use it and when I do I'm very careful when replacing it. What I get the most use out of is shears. I suppose it depends on your type diving but I run into fishing line more than anything else and the shears are better at dealing with it.

What size light? Do you plan to carry a light with you on every dive? I use a 4C cell Princeton-Tec as my primary and it fits in my OMS pocket. As you can tell, I don't like big bright lights! This size primary is all I need for night dives as it's bright enough for me to see things but not bright enough to scare off the nocturnal fish and creatures. It's also handy for those times I need a light in the daytime to look into cracks and crevices.

I can't imagine having a light of any size dangling from a D-ring on my BC all the time....I'm a no-dangly freak.

I love those things.Fit nicely in a pocket as for flash light can't help you there I dive a sherwood Avid with a snorkel pocket that the little light fits in great.Those snips are the same kind issued to Army combat medics and take all kinds of beating and still keeps going.

Jen
PS watched Hubby cut a penny in half with them and didn't hurt the snips one bit.

I finally got out yesterday. I put my UK Remora on the left shoulder strap down at the bottom just above the weight pocket. (I went on to cut myself the first time i pulled it out to try it.) I think I will try Sea Snips.

My light is a UK SL6 (6 C cells) kind of heavy. I put this on a retractor which makes it even bigger, then added another brass clip to keep it in close where it wont dangle. This was OK but with the big retractor, its bulky. I think I'll try a coil lanyard perhaps. I may also get a smaller light for everyday use and keep the SL6 for special occasions (night and real deep).

Thanks for the ideas!

Julie

The only piece of equipment I have attached to my LadyHawk is a pair of heavy duty shears which I have attached to one of my integrated weight puches. I'm using the strap on which the mail end of the buckle is attached for one attachment point and the strap that keeps the integrated weight pouch from falling out the back for the other. Its attached with the velcro attachments that came with the shears plus a tie down to ensure it will not come off. I'm right handed so I put it on the user's left side of the b.c.
It hasn't interferred with the insertion or removal of the weights and it is easy to access.

I'll look at something like that. If its set towards the back of the pocket, that might work well.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom