Accessorizing a 22' center console for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dridek...
I wouldn't think I'd need to cover my deck "gunwale to gunwale" like one member did in that picture. Seems to be a little overkill, and not so nice on the feet. Do you think using just a few pieces and laying them under the tank racks would suffice? I use only soft weights on my boat.

I'm really surpised that your rear-mounted tanks made it difficult to get on plane. Did it improve the boat's handling when you moved them forward? I would think it would have the opposite effect (meaning that forward-mounted tank might hinder your ability to get on plane).

Actually "gunwale to gunwale" like in those pictures is NOT overkill. It is much better than just under the tank racks. Most important, he "gunwale to gunwale" decking doesn't slip or move that way. The entire deck is protected from dings and scuffs from weights, but since you do use soft weight, it protect the deck from tanks. It also adds a bit of cushion to the feet and legs and works great as a non-skid surface.

Besides, you gotta admit that boat looks nice.

Dridek...
I'm really surpised that your rear-mounted tanks made it difficult to get on plane. Did it improve the boat's handling when you moved them forward? I would think it would have the opposite effect (meaning that forward-mounted tank might hinder your ability to get on plane).

Getting the bow out of the water is usually pretty easy. To get up on a plane, you have to get the stern up out of the hole to completely get up on a plane. If there is too much weight back there, your bow is stuck up in the air while you're dragging the stern. I could see that as a problem on a 22'. 4 steel tanks in the stern made it tough to pop onto a plane in our 22'.

Dridek...
I wouldn't think I'd need to cover my deck "gunwale to gunwale" like one member did in that picture. Seems to be a little overkill, and not so nice on the feet.

I guess you can use small pieces and attach each piece to the deck, I didn't think it was an overkill once I found a different brand that is nice and soft on the feet but just as strong when it comes to protect from tanks, weights or stupid shoes.

Like I said above I could not deal with the dri-deck on bare-feet. Fortunately there are tons of options at great prices.

Our boat's deck is white and it bothers me to see marks on it. With this matting not only stays protected but any minor spot from fish blood, colored drinks or whatever I don't see it. Most of it washes out at the end of the day and what ever slips my eye gets done in the once a month deep cleaning. Meanwhile I only "see" a nice looking soft to my feet deck. Definitely not an overkill.

Dridek...
I wouldn't think I'd need to cover my deck "gunwale to gunwale" like one member did in that picture. Seems to be a little overkill, and not so nice on the feet. Do you think using just a few pieces and laying them under the tank racks would suffice? I use only soft weights on my boat.

No, it is not overkill. In fact, it is the proper installation. By covering the entire deck the matting locks itself into place. Weights are not the only issue, tanks fall, regulators drop, ice chests, wear and tear, the Dri-Dek takes it all while your decks stay protected and new. The only thing is to lift it a few times in the season and clean underneath. At the end of the season I use a deck cleaner with PTF, roll the Dri-Dek out and scrub the non skid clean. The material is heavy and durable, it locks together with tabs, it cushions your body, it is an excellent product and the company is great to deal with.

Of the three Dri-Dek users in this thread, it seems all of them have the material gunwale to gunwale, stem to stern. I don't want to push you into something you do not want, there are other solutions I suppose including just letting the deck be a deck, if it gets banged up--and it will---it adds character I suppose.

BTW, Dri-Dek is great for dogs, they get plenty of traction, their nails do not grind your slippery non skid.

Weight in the stern of a boat will effect it's ability to plane to some degree. The effect of putting a few tanks in the stern area for a particular boat, you will just have to see for yourself, it may be fine for your boat. If you have tabs they might easily compensate by adding the additional lift.

If you don't have tabs, it is like why do I need those and then after you get them it is like, OH, an epiphany.

N

My main concern is that the black color could rub off onto the fiberglass (like using a black rubber hose to wash a boat), but I don't know if it's the same material. Seems that I've seen it used on a dive charter before, maybe under the benches or under the tank racks?

I have a friend with some rubber mats like this that I can basically have for free. I think the restaurant industry uses them for drainage behind bars and in kitchens. I know the Dri-Dek is preferred, but these would be free...

barmat.jpg

greasemat.jpg

I don't know what Nemrod did, I cover the deck corner to corner without securing it to the deck, every so often I take it off and give the deck a super wash it stays in place pretty good.

:)

Ana, by the way, I must say that's a nice-looking dive ladder on the back of your boat! I'm guessing it wasn't stock. Do you remember where you got it and how much it was?

I think I know what you're talking about with the mats used in the restaurant industry.
Black, in set sizes, with round holes ....they are probably just as strong as what I have or the Dri-Dek if they're not too old they shouldn't crumble and make a mess, but I would be very concerned about staining the deck, like some shoes do. I discovered the hard way that old crocs can leave nasty marks.

The great thing about this other type of deck covering is that it comes in 1foot square tiles so you can easily match your deck configuration, then as Nemrod said every so often you roll the whole thing out to give the deck a good scrub.

Nothing compares to free but if you decide to buy go for this plastic tiles, I'll post some pictures tonight with a dri-dek next to the one's I put in the boat, I have an entrance mat made with dri-dek in my back patio. That's how I knew I didn't want that roughness in the boat.

The Ladder? oh yeah, we love it. The design was completed before we got the boat. Then we were lucky to find a magnificent welder. This man is no longer welding I don't know how much it would cost today. Ask around in your area, I find the ready made ladders are not cheap either but I like to come back on board after diving. I'm not the young punk that could climb over the outboard like I used to, so the ladder was the first thing added on after installing the electronics.

Here I have close up view of both materials.

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 251
Boatladder.com I love mine as it has an adjustable angle for the transom!
Just bought a new (to me) Aquasport 225 center console last weekend! I've had it out once, and it was awesome! :cool2:

My intention is to use it as an all-purpose boat: some fishing, some cruising, tubing, and of course, alot of diving. Any suggestions on how to rig it up for diving? I've seen some removable tank holders that attach with suction cups to the gunwales. Kind of a cool concept, but they were pretty pricey... $200 for a 4-tank
What other methods have you seen for securing tanks and gear on boats this size?

Aquasport225.jpg

+1 for roll control

Dri Deck has its disadvantages. Every time you scrub the deck, you have to take it up.

Don't forget an Armstrong Swing dive ladder

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom