ABWA - Dive Report #1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This Saturday and Sunday I drove to Pelham AL to ABWA to partake in some AOW classes. AKA.. I was one of two students.

Saturday morning Jeff, Vic and I rolled into ABWA about 11:30 or so. There were already a few divers in the water. Since it was almost lunch and it'd be awhile before our instructor arrived, we decided to head to Hooters for lunch.

About an hour later we arrive back to ABWA and slowly start setting up our gear and waiting for our instructor to show up. Shortly after, Aletheia (instructor) shows up. We go over all of our paper work and sign the waivers saying that if she kills us, it's okay, she isn't responsible for it..

Our first dive was the deep dive. We were timed on tying a knot on the surface and then below the surface. I forget what Jeff did (the other student) but, on the surface I did my knots in 6 second.

So we suited up and headed for the platform. When we were ready to go, since I've dove Pelham quite a bit, I was asked to lead us to the sail boat, then to the bus and near the box. We started down to the sail boat and passed it on our way to the bus. once at the bus, I followed the line out toward the box. At or around 80ffw+-, we stopped and did our timed test with tying the knot. I really sucked and was only able to do it in 12 seconds. Doubled my time. Talking about losing buoyancy. I never hit the bottom but I did go up about 10 - 12'.

We then headed back to the bus and started our way back to the platform. If I remember correctly, the temperature was 56/57F... that was before the computer decided to puke on it's self. When we got the the up line to the platform, I motioned to my instructor that my computer died and I need a depth gauge. She handed me her back up computer and I slowly made our way back to the platform. From there, we were instructed to work on our trim and buoyancy some more. We idled for about three minutes then slowly made our way to the dock.

I'm going to say the max depth was 82ffw. (According to my instructors back up computer) and the viz was 15 - 20'. Temp around 56/57F at or below 30ffw+-. On the surface, a balmy 64F. BT was around 21 - 25m.

What did I learn on this dive? That narcosis can really affect you and you don't really realize it when you are just swimming. When you add in having to do a task of some sort, it really slows your motions and thinking down. I lost all situational awareness. So bad that I had NO idea where my buddy went and I came up 10 - 12' from where my instructor was hovering.

Great dive to show me what I need to practice on and that I need to be more aware of what's going on around me.

Michael

Narcosis is a strange thing.
I've done dives of 100 and had no affect, and other dives at 82-90 and got the little "odd" feeling.
So many variables.

Thanks for the report.

Good report. Pelham is a great place for that class. How is the construction of the "Dome" coming along?

glad you learned a valuable lesson with no injury

I'd been down to 96fsw before but, I wasn't really doing anything. Just hovering watching another guy spear fish. This weekend, with actually having to think and do something, it really showed me how narced I can get and how I lose my awareness.

Thanks.

Narcosis is a strange thing.
I've done dives of 100 and had no affect, and other dives at 82-90 and got the little "odd" feeling.
So many variables.

Thanks for the report.

It's crazy. Like I said earlier, at 96fsw, just hovering and "seemed" fine. At 80ffw +- (remember it was cold in my 3mm long suit...) I couldn't maintain my buoyancy and lost track of my dive buddy. No problem on the report, I have 4 more coming. :)

Good report. Pelham is a great place for that class. How is the construction of the "Dome" coming along?

Thanks, I really like it for training. I hope to get over there when there are a LOT of OW classes going on. I want to work in low viz dives to help me if I ever go somewhere else with low viz.

They have the plumbing done and the slab poured. The "supporting" walls are up and I believe Wayne said either today or Wednesday, they are going to start assembling it. I got a "walk through" with Wayne and it's going to be a NICE building. I thikn he said 12 or 14 sky lights, a wall climb inside, men's/women's changing rooms, with handicapped accessible stalls and other really nice amenities. I'll let them tell you the rest. Ohh and the dome will be about as tall as the flag pole that they have there.

Michael

Mike_005.jpg

I was coming up from underneath the platform. This is the only picture I got. :|

OK.. Narc'd and with 1 catchers mit at your disposal to work with, 12 seconds and only shifting about 10' while doing so all while on your first deeper dive with added task load? I'd have to say you did pretty well! :D

This week knots, next week, lift bags and the Titanic! :wink:

Keep up the good work buddy!!

Mwhites thanks for the report, had a buddy decided he wanted to swim thru the bus and started gettin narced inside, he got out and signaled and we went up to about 70 feet and he was fine. Weird stuff. If you want low viz diving come with us to lake wedowee LOL. 10 ft viz tops so far.

I hope to get over there when there are a LOT of OW classes going on. I want to work in low viz dives to help me if I ever go somewhere else with low viz.

viz at Pelham right now is not low viz, its really good. Not the best I've seen it but when you can see the bus from the sailboat you know its good. Later when there is more of a thermocline and some algae in the water, and some OW students to kick up the bottom, then the viz will be lower. The worst viz I've ever seen there is better than the best viz I've seen at lake lanier. you want to work in low viz, just come dive with us up here :)

I think I was narc'd at 135' there the other weekend. didn't notice anything other than I was REALLY relaxed, and thinking how wonderful and peaceful it was down there in that lovely cool, clear water. :D

I'd say viz was closer to 30 feet. Water temp was 55... brrr!

OK.. Narc'd and with 1 catchers mit at your disposal to work with, 12 seconds and only shifting about 10' while doing so all while on your first deeper dive with added task load? I'd have to say you did pretty well! :D

This week knots, next week, lift bags and the Titanic! :wink:

Keep up the good work buddy!!

Thanks Colin but, I see I still have a lot of practice to do. I figure if I can task load myself some way in an 8' pool, I should be able to handle it anywhere in the water column.

Lift bags?! That's this weekend! (Practice in the pool.)

Mwhites thanks for the report, had a buddy decided he wanted to swim thru the bus and started gettin narced inside, he got out and signaled and we went up to about 70 feet and he was fine. Weird stuff. If you want low viz diving come with us to lake wedowee LOL. 10 ft viz tops so far.

No problem. I swam over the bus as a few of the caver's that were diving with us decided to go through it. It's actually quite cool to see that. Once I get cavern training and maybe more wreck (very little penetration) mentoring, I want to hit the bus. :)

I'll need to come sometime. My worst viz so far was on the Whiskey Wreck at about 8 feet or so.

viz at Pelham right now is not low viz, its really good. Not the best I've seen it but when you can see the bus from the sailboat you know its good. Later when there is more of a thermocline and some algae in the water, and some OW students to kick up the bottom, then the viz will be lower. The worst viz I've ever seen there is better than the best viz I've seen at lake lanier. you want to work in low viz, just come dive with us up here :)

I think I was narc'd at 135' there the other weekend. didn't notice anything other than I was REALLY relaxed, and thinking how wonderful and peaceful it was down there in that lovely cool, clear water. :D

I couldn't see the bus from the boat, if that tells you anything. :) You could definitely see the thermocline. I like to get my face right there and look at the particles.

haha Sounds like you were narced, be careful!! Did you hit any DCLs?

I'd say viz was closer to 30 feet. Water temp was 55... brrr!

Well, I'm a noobie, I can try to guess. :wink:

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom