Absolutely Insane Dive Video - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That clarifies things. I was literally ready to sign up for Open Water again. Thanks uncfnp for pointing this out.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 06:50 PM ----------

Tony I agree with all your ponints. I guess the only redeeming thing here is that there was apparently another tank with air in it with a working reg! Still shocking to me as per everything you pointed out.

I agree with Tony's points as well. So what do you guys figure the reason was for continued air share when the diver's reg was now working?

I don't think this is real. Do you think this could be a training video on how to do part of it right? :)

The guy seemed attentive and responsive at first but not concerned after...

This would have happened in a cold quarry. That son-of-a would be ready to end the dive.

Could be the conditions that allow for this kind of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 08:24 PM ----------

A feeling of security often while unaware of or unconcerned with unpleasant realities or harmful possibilities...

I don't think this is real. Do you think this could be a training video on how to do part of it right? :)

If it was training then it surly was not done right by any standard! Unless it was to show what not to do. OOA or diver in trouble is never behind assisting diver except for maybe a tired diver tow.

OBTW, I just called Fl and cax. our cave trip. Peacock has a boil but it is going to take a while for the caves to clear. Only two sites open at this point and from the front that is hitting the south, I expect the level to increase to well over 30 feet in Lake city. Please dive safe in that I have been in a cave when it reverses....no fun deal.

I don't think this was a free flow situation at all. A lot of air came out of the second stage after the diver took it out of his mouth to receive the donated reg. The DM turned down the adjustment and continued the dive. I think the new diver was just an air hog and rather than ruin the dive for the rest of the group, the DM shared his air with the newbie. At 1:58 you can see the diver purge his reg, so it worked fine. The only real problem I saw was the DM rarely looked back to make sure the diver kept up with him, which is difficult with the sculling hands.

You'll see divers like this guy at resorts all over the world. He signed up for the dive, yet needed help adjusting his BC at depth and due probably to his excessive movements needed more weight. In a class situation or team diving you would abort the dive, but in the real world of vacation diving you try to show your customers a good time.

If it was training then it surly was not done right by any standard! Unless it was to show what not to do. OOA or diver in trouble is never behind assisting diver except for maybe a tired diver tow.

OBTW, I just called Fl and cax. our cave trip. Peacock has a boil but it is going to take a while for the caves to clear. Only two sites open at this point and from the front that is hitting the south, I expect the level to increase to well over 30 feet in Lake city. Please dive safe in that I have been in a cave when it reverses....no fun deal.

Thanks Tony! We shall see, hope things calm down by Monday or Tuesday.

Yeah, this video was a hodgepodge of what not to do. But they kept it together, sort of.

I'm sure there are a ton of near misses in scuba we have no idea about.

I agree with Tony's points as well. So what do you guys figure the reason was for continued air share when the diver's reg was now working?

Answer---------the DM wanted to keep him close, in case he(the newbie diver) screwed up on something else.......:)

Last edited:
At the end of the video, it looks like they are doing a shallow water safety stop on the sandy area. It looks shallow there.

I also don't see a huge issue with this video. The DM was probably monitoring the air supply better than you think. And, while it may not look like it, they may have been working shallower throughout the dive.

Head up to Marianna. All the caves are open and even Matachuk on the Chipola River. That cave never goes under despite river levels. Speaking about cave reversal I was in Peacock taking my full cave class when it reversed. Made for an interesting exit for sure.

Speaking about cave reversal I was in Peacock taking my full cave class when it reversed. Made for an interesting exit for sure.

That is where it happened to me. P III was blown and P II was going. We were the last group in P I. I was in intro cave class and TJ said that it was the longest light out / share air dive that he has performed...BC he did not want us to turn our lights on and see the decreased vis. Early in the day...50-70+ feet...at the end maybe 3 feet and damn cold. They closed the park after we left. After dinner we went to Cow and the water was almost up to the parking area.

Sorry for the highjack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom