Absolute pressure and IPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grocio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I don't know whether I'm posting this thread in the right section, but I hope so!

I'd like to bring my IPhone to a series of drift dives next week, just in case I separate unintentionally from my group and have to exit at a place where I cannot be seen from the boat. The waterproof bag I intend to use can stand up to 4 ata of absolute pressure, that's 30 metres deep. But I wonder what absolute pressure the IPhone can stand up. Do you know it?

Many thanks in advance for your reactions.

Is the case hard enough, so it does not change its volume at depth? I checked once a small otterbox and it squeezed so much inwards, that the contents got squeezed. Lucky me, it was a tuna sandwich, so not much harm. The box was rated 10 meters, I took it twenty, my fault.

Have no idea about your box, but try it empty beforehand- to make sure it stays dry and does not squeeze too much.

And I assume you'll be diving in areas with cellular reception?

Sent from my myTouch 4G

I have been in the water with on call divers who had iPhones to get messages if they were called into work. But those were hard cases.

Might a Nautilus Lifeline be a better solution since you can directly call the boat by VHF, and not worry about flooding an expensive phone.

1. Before doing anything else I'd make sure to have insurance that will cover water damage.
2. Anyone even casually into u/w photography knows it's a matter of when, not if, your camera will flood. Consider that.
3. I used to take my phones inside my drysuit. Personally I would not take a phone underwater inside any kind of case. See point #2. From a combination of experience and sad stories from other divers I've concluded that any case will eventually fail.

Given the situation you're describing I think you're better off memorizing a phone # or two and then flagging down a passerby to borrow his cell phone in the (hopefully unlikely) event you do get separated from your group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom