Absolute minimum megapixels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JerDogg

Reaction score
What is the absolute minimum megapixel requirment for decent amature U/W photography?
Would an Olumpus D-380 (2.1 MP), which I already own, with an Ikelite housing be suffeciant? Or would I be THAT much better off with the extra megapixel of the Olympus Stylus 300 (3.2 MP) with an Olympus or Ikelite housing?

How big do you plan on making your prints ? The bigger the print the more pixels you need.

If your satisfied with the quality of image on land, you'll proably be satisfied with the quality of image u/w...notice how I used the term image and picture...you might need a strobe and some practice...

If it's any help to you I used an Oly C2040Z (2.1 megapixel) for about a year and it took good pictures. I did not make prints very often but used it mostly for underwater photos on the internet. I upgraded to an Oly C4000Z (4 megapixel) which fit in the same housing. The pictures are very noticeably better. The increase in megapixels allows for better pictures, therefore better prints. Where it really matters is if you crop a picture, as I do very often, then the higher megapixel makes a major difference in the results. IMHO I would not spend the money on an Ikelite housing for your 2 megapixel camera as it is too far behind the curve.

Gilligan is absolutely right. If you just want a cover for the camera you have, an Ike would be a waste of a lot of money. I would suggest trying to find a used (or not) Oly house to see how you like UW photogrphy. 2 megapxl will get you plenty of quaity for emailing and Internet. Small prints will be fine too if you don't try to crop much.

If you want to spend some money and you are sure you want to start down this slippery slope of a money sucking hobby they call UW photography, start doing your research. Assume you will want at least 4 megapxls and a camera/house/strobe combination that works well together. There's lots to read here and on other forums and sites. Wetpixel and DDN are good places to start.

Expect to do a lot of reading and asking questions, and spending money. Hopefully, you can also do a lot of diving. I think it's worth it.

Have fun :) :)

Whilst I would agree about the housing, I would personally recommend going for as high a megapixel resolution as you can afford. Camera's are getting better and better, almost daily, much like the rest of the technology we all now rely on. If I were advising you on buying a computer, my advice would be the same, buy the fastest computer you can, without paying the excessive premium for very latest/best (unless you had a particular need).

My current camera is 4MP, and this is funnily enough my 4th digital camera. I still have the 3MP camera, but don't dive with it, and my parents have another 3MP camera I passed on to them. If you can afford a 3MP camera or better, with housing, then I could go for that. It is not just about how good it is now, but also how good it will seem in a year or 2 or 3's time.

All of that said, the art of photography has much more to do with your ability to compose and take great photographs, than it does with the camera you are using. The best pictures and photographers on this board (and I would never ever consider myself one) will take great pictures no matter what they are using.

Whatever you decide, we look forward to you sharing the results on here. Enjoy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom