ABs website does not seem to be working for making reservations....use 'regular' rental car company?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last time I just emailed AB and told them what I wanted and they reserved it and sent me the invoice but I didn't pay until I got there.

No experience with the majors. I have rented from Caribe before but always have had a good experience with AB.

How has dollar/avis etc been for rentals of a truck
Used AB the first time, but this past trip two weeks ago for some reason I was turned off by the inability to get a quote without emailing. So I went with Avis. They were hard to beat. Price was similar to all of the other places and its there at the airport. I will be using avis moving forward each trip.
Just for clarity, I'm a preferred member but that doesn't matter in Bonaire, and I also decline all of the insurances because I have a card that has excellent rental car coverage.

Used AB the first time, but this past trip two weeks ago for some reason I was turned off by the inability to get a quote without emailing. So I went with Avis. They were hard to beat. Price was similar to all of the other places and its there at the airport. I will be using avis moving forward each trip.
Just for clarity, I'm a preferred member but that doesn't matter in Bonaire, and I also decline all of the insurances because I have a card that has excellent rental car coverage.
My Credit Card has car insurance but reading coverage it excludes pickup trucks and other specialty vehicles. What card do you have that includes pickups? May need to look into that. Also CC insurance pays for damage but you need to 1st pay for damage and have all documentation in order to get reimbursed later. You also need to carry a large enough limit to cover damage since it is charged to card.

My Credit Card has car insurance but reading coverage it excludes pickup trucks and other specialty vehicles. What card do you have that includes pickups? May need to look into that. Also CC insurance pays for damage but you need to 1st pay for damage and have all documentation in order to get reimbursed later. You also need to carry a large enough limit to cover damage since it is charged to card.
It's an annual fee Citi card that I've had for 15+ years. My wife tried to get one and apparently they don't offer them anymore, but for some reason they've never changed all of the perks of the card. I specifically got it because there are no foreign bank fees and the rental car coverage is insane compared to any card I've looked at. I've traveled all over the world without rental insurance. I sideswiped a car in Paris avoiding a guy who swerved hard into my lane to avoid a kid on a skateboard who fell into the street. I thought it would be a nightmare, but it wasn't. I was told that I'd have to pay for the damages and get reimbursed as well, but that didn't happen. I had to fill out some forms and talk to some customer service people, and that was about it.
On Bonaire they just put a $650 hold on the card to cover for lack of insurance. Only annoyance, and this is the first I've experienced it, was the first day of my trip was the 2nd day of my CC billing cycle. 2 weeks later and the hold is still there. Avis released it, but the card now has some weird policy where it won't be released back to me until the end of the billing cycle (in a week). Luckily the account hold does not accrue interest.
I definitely need to point out to anyone considering dropping insurance, look very closely at your CC perks and ask questions. I 100% didn't believe the rental insurance would be as good as they claimed. I have had zero issues. I have 2 other CCs with rental insurance and it is as you describe. If I relied on it, I would be nervous.

Looks like AB broke the english booking feature. If you switch to Dutch its there. I would think an email to them would resolve that fairly quickly.

Looks like AB broke the english booking feature. If you switch to Dutch its there. I would think an email to them would resolve that fairly quickly.
Must have just happened. I booked a truck with AB through their website (English) on Sept 16.

Back
Top Bottom