About to give up and sell my rig.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have tried and tried to get this down and after this last trip am fed up. My current system is a t2i in a sea & sea housing my strobes are ys-01s. I have two len's that I use, mostly the 18-55 that came with the t2i. I also have a 10-17 that cannot ever get to work when I need it. So I went on a recent trip to Cozumel with a stop over in Cancun to swim with th Whale Sharks. So I set up the camera with no strobes since we were on the surface in blue water. I tried the auto setting and could not get the camera to focus to take a shot. So I then switched over to av using f11 and tried working it down still could not focus. I feel more comfortable with the 18-55 and should of taking that lens but I didn't. What m I doing wrong here where can I go for some real help? Otherwise I will be putting a t2i w/housing in the classifieds.

I have tried and tried to get this down and after this last trip am fed up. My current system is a t2i in a sea & sea housing my strobes are ys-01s. I have two len's that I use, mostly the 18-55 that came with the t2i. I also have a 10-17 that cannot ever get to work when I need it. So I went on a recent trip to Cozumel with a stop over in Cancun to swim with th Whale Sharks. So I set up the camera with no strobes since we were on the surface in blue water. I tried the auto setting and could not get the camera to focus to take a shot. So I then switched over to av using f11 and tried working it down still could not focus. I feel more comfortable with the 18-55 and should of taking that lens but I didn't. What m I doing wrong here where can I go for some real help? Otherwise I will be putting a t2i w/housing in the classifieds.

A couple of things here;

1 - Don't sell your rig.
2 - You roughly have about $5k worth of DSLR rig. Why are you shooting in AUTO ?
3 - Where did you purchase your gear, and are they providing support and some UWP 101 for you ?4 - You have a 10-17. Tokina assuming ? This is the "best lens on the planet", for UWP. Just my opinion, of course.
5 - AV Mode & f11, good place to start. Your ISO ? Focus point(s) ? Are your strobes properly synced ? Are you shooting with or w/o your strobes ?
6 - You "still could not focus" Are you focusing manually or automatically ?
7 - "Where can you go for some real help" ? Are you versed in photography at all ? I don't mean that as a snide remark, just trying to determine skill level and help. Your first stop would be with where you purchased your rig/gear from. ALL of the reputable UWP specialty shops that sell online should at the very least give you some tips to "get you going". If you purchased from one of the "big consumer internet retailers" that DON'T specialize in UWP, well then congratulations on saving a few bucks. If you purchased used, there are still viable (and economical) options for learning. Martin Edge has a great book, and there are some great tips on the websites of Reef, Backscatter, Optical Ocean and Bluewater. Depending on where you're located, private instruction, as well as UWP Specialty might be available, as well. Not to mention, all the help in the world can be found in the hundreds of threads here on Scubaboard :)

Just a question.....if you are using auto focus, is there perhaps too much particulate on the water to allow a good focus on your subject? I know this is not likely but worth asking just to rule it out.

I have the T2i also with the kit lens, Tokina 10/17, and the Canon 60 in a Ikelite housing with two DS 51 strobes and a Inon Ring Strobe. I disagree that the 10/17 is the best UWP lens, it is the best close up wide angle but has a learning curve mostly with composition and lighting the shot. I find I use my Canon 60 the most as i can get good potraits and macro. If you don't have a focus light get one, I use the Big Blue. Also get some good post production software I highly recommend Topaz Lab filters. they work with Lightroom, Aperture, PSE and iPhoto. Don't give up.

A couple of things here;

1 - Don't sell your rig.
2 - You roughly have about $5k worth of DSLR rig. Why are you shooting in AUTO ?
3 - Where did you purchase your gear, and are they providing support and some UWP 101 for you ?4 - You have a 10-17. Tokina assuming ? This is the "best lens on the planet", for UWP. Just my opinion, of course.
5 - AV Mode & f11, good place to start. Your ISO ? Focus point(s) ? Are your strobes properly synced ? Are you shooting with or w/o your strobes ?
6 - You "still could not focus" Are you focusing manually or automatically ?
7 - "Where can you go for some real help" ? Are you versed in photography at all ? I don't mean that as a snide remark, just trying to determine skill level and help. Your first stop would be with where you purchased your rig/gear from. ALL of the reputable UWP specialty shops that sell online should at the very least give you some tips to "get you going". If you purchased from one of the "big consumer internet retailers" that DON'T specialize in UWP, well then congratulations on saving a few bucks. If you purchased used, there are still viable (and economical) options for learning. Martin Edge has a great book, and there are some great tips on the websites of Reef, Backscatter, Optical Ocean and Bluewater. Depending on where you're located, private instruction, as well as UWP Specialty might be available, as well. Not to mention, all the help in the world can be found in the hundreds of threads here on Scubaboard :)

Thx for the reply

1. I dont want to sell it but need understanding and cannot get any help.
2. I was shooting in auto so I wouldnt miss the shot
3. I purchased all the gear from a member here on the scubaboard and have had it for a little over a yr.
4 Yes the tokina
5. I started in auto because I thought it was the safest and no strobes as we were in blue very blue water on the surface. I then switched over to av mode and started at f11 but still could focus but I did have the auto focus on. Later did I find out my ISO was at 3200 and I know was way way way off and prob was my biggest problem in AV mode.
6. Auto
7. I have the book from Martins edge and is a hard book to follow. Really would to take a class or go on a week trip somewhere with some instruction.

practice on land first learn your camera and composition there then take it underwater.

Thx for the reply

1. I dont want to sell it but need understanding and cannot get any help.
2. I was shooting in auto so I wouldnt miss the shot
3. I purchased all the gear from a member here on the scubaboard and have had it for a little over a yr.
4 Yes the tokina
5. I started in auto because I thought it was the safest and no strobes as we were in blue very blue water on the surface. I then switched over to av mode and started at f11 but still could focus but I did have the auto focus on. Later did I find out my ISO was at 3200 and I know was way way way off and prob was my biggest problem in AV mode.
6. Auto
7. I have the book from Martins edge and is a hard book to follow. Really would to take a class or go on a week trip somewhere with some instruction.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere :)

2 - Auto Mode and UWP basically do not mix. Ween yourself off of ASAP. Even above the water, Canon DSLR's are horrific in Auto Mode.
5 - If it were me, (and you may hear more opinions), you are close enough to the surface (with whale sharks) to take advantage of great ambient lighting, without strobes. I would start AV Mode, ISO200, f7.1, Tokina (and a dome which I assume you have ?), and adjust as necessary. Use the center focus point only, as well. And try to get as close as possible while being respectful to the whale sharks. They make great Wide Angle subjects as well as Close Focus Wide Angle.

Don't sell the gear (as everyone here agrees). I would start in M mode not AV (primarily since the Canon flash modes only do fill in some modes). I would start at 1/200 sec and f8, Iso 200. Take the camera in the housing out into the backyard and shoot some trees/flowers/kids/dogs etc.). See what you see but in my hands at least with the Tokina focus in clear water has never been a problem. Make sure that the auto/manual focus switch didn't get moved while putting the camera in the housing, that has happened to me innumerable times. Make sure that it focuses on the boat before you jump in.
If you have a pool then go to the pool and practice, practice, practice.

Bill

i learned alot from the Jim church school they are based on Aggressor /Dancer fleet (mike & mike great guys ) they do week long trips all over the place and you just pay for the holiday no charge for the instruction check them out!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom