about tattoos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm excited to get into diving and considering even a career in it, but I'm also looking forward to getting a tattoo on my lower back that extends up my side... the tattoo has some controversial themes in it... could a tattoo like that in that location get in the way of my diving career?

I'm excited to get into diving and considering even a career in it, but I'm also looking forward to getting a tattoo on my lower back that extends up my side... the tattoo has some controversial themes in it... could a tattoo like that in that location get in the way of my diving career?

I think that's a pretty hard question to answer. I imagine it would depend on who you worked for and where. In Japan it would be a big no, in most of SEA tattoos on Instructors and DMs seem the norm. When you say controversial what do you mean? Obviously Id be thinking twice about anything that could taken as offensive by your future clients.

Last edited:
Studies done in the US suggest that visible tattoos subtract points from your perceived intelligence. They are still not considered mainstream here. That said, in the diving community, I don't think it matters much wherever you teach or work. Folks seem to accept instructors for their knowledge. I have visible tattoos and do not work as a diver. Had I known, I would have made them normally hidden.

I find most skin art is pretty accepted in most areas. I am a heavily tattooed person, with some controversial art on my skin as well. All arms for me, but still very much out there. I find most people don't blink twice at you. On my recent trip to Coz, I had one person ask about my tattoos, and that was a staff member at the resort. The dive employees there were pretty tattooed also, Most in other languages, mainly script and stuff from their home countries and cultures.
Where you are planning on getting your ink seems like a spot that will not be visible too much, you will have a wetsuit on most of the time you are with "customers".. And even then it will probably be waist high, as you are in between dives.

The main thing here, is that are you sure you are invested in getting this tattoo. If you have questions about your future with said tattoo, are you sure you really want it. Having a super visible tattoo ( one that is always visible, hands, feet, face, neck, forearms, etc) is a big commitment, and there is no turning back then.

Another point to remember, is that being heavily tattooed, seems to be a North American thing, of the heavily tattooed people I have met in my journies, only north americans really are accepting of having a lot of ink, and that would be slanted towards Canadians than americans

Think very long and hard about the tattoo. Make sure that it is something that you can live with for the rest of your life. They are not something that you can change on a whim.

Once the commitment is made they are really great. They are better than jewlery, you can never loose them and nobady will ever steal them.

Yes, I have a lot of tattoos.

You will be working with clients and an employer if you go down the diving career path. People have their own views on topics and can easily get offended. Thus to answer your question, controversial things causes controversy and will have an impact on clients and employer.

Yes, it can negatively impact your upward mobility with some dive operators, just as visible tats can limit your upward mobility with other employers....

Over the years I have seen many employment ads which openly "discriminate" against folks with tats and piercings.

Cheers,
Roger

This OLD THREAD ON DREADLOCKS might cast some light on the issue. Of course, as I'm sure you know, there's a key difference between dreads and tats...you can get rid of the dreadlocks with $15 and a trip to SuperCuts.

Based upon my observations of divemasters and instructors in Hawaii, Colorado, Florida, and through out the Caribbean, I don't think you will have a problem. I cannot speak to other areas. Of course, it would help for feedback if you defined "controversial themes."
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom