? about taking pics of lava flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recall reading an article about someone who had tried to get close to lava for underwater pics and it recounted a hellish tale of multiple near death experiences (on a single dive). The ultra-hot rock would encounter much cooler water and the forces of uneven cooling would cause fist-sized parts of the lava (rocks, essentially) to shoot off like ballistic projectiles (steam powered, if I recall correctly). The author said he was lucky to escape with his life and would never try that again. I've never encountered anyone else that could corroberate his story. Wonder why...

I would use a ROV like a VideoRay or similar.

Better to loose a $20,000 hunk of hardware than personal software.

I was just wondering if this was possable with my skill level. Doesen't sound like it. Thanks.

pipedope:
I would use a ROV like a VideoRay or similar.

Better to loose a $20,000 hunk of hardware than personal software.
One of the "cutest" videos I've seen was from an ROV that got a tad too close to an open gate on a dam. You saw lots of bubbles, some blue sky & clouds & then the water rushing up before everything turned to fuzz. :11:
I don't think the guy appreciated my giggles but it was just one of things where ya just couldn't help yourself. :eyebrow:

OK, someone did this. I heard about it today at work but the guy telling me the stroy didn't rember where he saw it at. Did anybody else see very recent pics taken here i Hawaii of the underwater lava flow? Where where they at? Thank.

Here's a link to Dick Dresie's website, click on "divin' the lava flow" for his report. He did it years ago.

http://www.ilhawaii.net/~dpdresie/

One of the Dive shops in Hilo used to "offer" lava dives, have never heard of it actually happening, but I don't know all that much about what goes on over on the Hilo side.

later,

Steve

Wildcard:
OK, someone did this. I heard about it today at work but the guy telling me the stroy didn't rember where he saw it at. Did anybody else see very recent pics taken here i Hawaii of the underwater lava flow? Where where they at? Thank.

Thanks for the links guys. I need to learn my new camera a bit first and wait for the trades to die off a little but I thnk I may give this a shot (just don't tell Mom)...

Wildcard, from friscuba's page:

And so it was that I dove the flow..... And, unfortunately, or fortunately - diving the flow is no longer possible, since so much magma has flowed into the ocean the shoreline is too shallow for diving. It's as if it is flowing onto the beach, which in many cases, is exactly what is happening. At the deeper entry areas, major slabs of lava are continually falling into the ocean, making those memorable early lava-flow dives impossible today. It was fun while it lasted - and I'm still amazed that we were able (make that, 'DUMB enough') to do it.

Back
Top Bottom