? about taking pics of lava flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We have a pretty good flow that is going into the water. Thinking of trying a few pics. Anybody know anything about doing this?

Are you on the Big Island? Or some other volcanic island?

If it's the Big Island, check with local and federal regulations on whether you can get close on your own. I suspect you wouldn't be able to. I know that there's a lot of noxious gases associated with lava flows and that some people have died observing them when the shelf they were on collapsed.

If you do manage to get some pics, make sure to post them!

Yes, Im on the big Isl. I was on the flow today. There was a boat just off shore taking pics. Im thinking Im gonna run my boat down and go for a swim. I just wondered how stupid this was and if any one here has done this? I know it can be done, Ive seen the pics.....It just hit the water last sunday. Got some great shots from the air yesterday and from teh ground today. Now I need water.

Any tips? Besides lots of life insurance?

Thats a good tip!...Any lava vets out there? Fill me in please.

How close are the boats to the flow?

I would have thought that you'd have to be very close U/W to be able to see anything - won't the water be a little too hot for that? Pictures I've ever seen of flows entering the sea have the water boiling for quite a way around. On top of that - how is the camera (or you) going to be able to see anything through the turbulence and s**t in the water?

They would be cool pics for sure! There was a special on a while back about divers diving in the area of lava flows and they said that the water gets hot and foggy from the lava...Check it out first and be careful...we wanna see the pictures :D

Im thinking I have to get lower than the flow and shoot up to avoid the heat and boiling. I just don't want to die doing this.
Boats were 100-150 yards off.

Do yourself a favor and don't do it.

Think about what you just said - gotta get low and shoot up. Well guess which way the lava is flowing - down.

Plus, it moves a lot faster underwater on the slope than above water up on the plateau. Not to mention the fact lava reacts violently with sea water, and if you are close enough to see the lava you're close enough to have unstable land further up the slope/topside come crashing down on you.

I'd think it's particularly suicidal if you're thinking about going it alone.

It's one thing to be back off the flows 100 yards out on the surface, it's another to be within 10-15 feet of that stuff underwater when you've never been around it in that environment before.

I'd say you'll have better luck (not to mention a better chance of getting home alive at the end of the day) if you buddy up with one of the park rangers, find one who dives, and get yourself in good grace for the next time they do a little diving out there. There's lots of folks in the park ranger service that are certified divers, and I think they have the SCRU group out at least once or twice a year when things are active to check things out.

Back
Top Bottom