About Puerto Galera, Phillipine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice teeth Kevin!

Thanks for the condolences...yes Tianjin has to be the most boring city in China. I run up to Beijing occassionally but not often enough.

It sounds like you know the place I am talking about. Here is a link about the dive site, its from the website of the Beijing outfit, Urban Divers. Its run by a Japanese lady named Zeus: http://www.urbandivers.com/Thousand Island Lake.htm. I would like to try it sometimes.

Let me know how Bali is for diving, since everywhere is far away from TJ, I plan to go somewhere else besides the Phils for my next dive trip. Well it will have to be trip after next since my gear is still in Puerto Galera, I didn't feel like lugging it back here last time I was there.

Drew

Are you working on offshore projects with CNOOC?

I visit them occasioanaly but not been for a few months now

I'll let you know what Bali is like.

I've been to Sabang / Verde Island (my deepest dive was there at 60M) and although nice not much big stuff other than those white tips hiding in the cave ! Excellent macro though !

Recommend both Layang Layang and Sipadan / Mabul if you haven't done them yet.

I'm trying to sort out the best (read:cheapest) way to get to Sangalaki - air tickets from China to anywhere are so expensive in this regulated environment ! It's cheaper to fly to the USA than it is to most of Asia - even some places in China !

Qian Dao Hu sounds great - it is definitely the place I heard of : the local aquarium arranges trips there too. 5m vis. reminds me of Langkawi. I'm definitely going to do that one.

Kevin

Shanghai M.,

You are right about not a lot of big stuff in PG, but the diversity is great and as you say lots of macro. Most people consider the Canyons the best dive because of the electric ride you get (although it gets a little crowded at 9:00am on Saturday), but my favorite place is Sinandigan Wall and all the nudis. Verde can be great with good viz and current that behaves, there is a huge, huge school of Jacks there often. But if the viz is bad and the current is pumping in all directions it can be a b*%@#!d to guide.

I'm ready to dive somewhere else for a change though, between doing the DM and Instructor course in PG and helping out guiding and teaching I've done 500+ dives there in the last 2.5 years.

If you decide to do Qian Dao Hu, let me know and maybe I can get down there to do it as well.

You are right about flying in and out of China. I get 3 days R&R every quarter and the only place thats real convienent (but not cheap) from BJ is Thailand because of direct flights.

Albion,

No I'm not in the oil biz, I'm in sourcing for a sporting goods company. You've probably been to Tanggu, I understand there are quiet a few oil firms there.

Drew

HB,

I dove the Canyons a few times : the last time there was a wicked current that had my buddy & I and a lionfish all hiding behind a boulder trying to find some macro before aborting the dive (it seemed to come out of nowhere too) !
Wicked down current on the drift ascent too !!

I remember one dive on a cave at 54 M ? Dive into the blue and then a quick descent to around 40 - 45M before dropping over a ledge and into the cave ?

I had heard a lot about how good Verde Island was although we got murdered on the boat on the way over - all hugging our BCDs on the bottom to prevent brain damage !
But the site was great underwater - great vis, little current and lots of macro !

BTW we are on Garuda on the 12th, return to Bali, 3100 rmb, great deal ! :)

Next tiem the Qian Dao Hu trip comes up I'll give you a call.

Cheers
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom