About Malaria in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bearteacher.tw

Contributor
Reaction score
Should I take the pills for anti-Malaria because I will go to Lembeh of North Sulawesi? There will be no aircon in my room, and I think there will be possible some insect bites.
Is an-Malaria necessary?

I was recently in Papua New Guinea, I took malaria meds. Indonesia owns the other half on New Guinea. Taking the meds far outways you catching malaria, do not chance it, you could get malaria and have it for the rest of your life.

I just returned from N. Sulawesi. My doctor only recommended Hep B and tetanus.

Anti-malarial meds, a lot of DEET Spray/Lotion, and a Mosquito net http://www.rei.com/
(Recommendations from Yours Truly, a Dengue Fever Victim. . .)

Check with your dive operator.

The general opinion is that North Sulawesi is not a big risk for Malaria. Other parts of Indonesia have big problems.

In Ternate the prevalence of Malaria is about 20 to 30% in the native population. I met a woman who spent time in Flores and caught Malaria.

Best to take precuations to avoid all mosquitoes as there is no current vaccine and very little in the way of treatment for other mosquito borne diseases like dengue fever.

I spend a month on Bunaken Island recently (other side of the mainland from Lembeh) and saw few mosquitoes. It was dry season. Though many people did have bites.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about getting an "adult" booster for polio (enhanced Salk killed vaccine) as a one time only shot assuming you had your full childhood polio series. There was an outbreak of polio in the Jakarta area recently.

Also make sure your Tetanus is up to date. Generally reccomended for adults every ten years or after a serious injury.

Typhoid is always a good idea. As is Hepatitis B and Hepatitis A.

North Sulawesi not really a problem for malaria. But you can get other things from getting bitten by insects - so use insect repellant. Get advice - but as the previous posters are saying - get all your other immunisations sorted out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom