???? about diving the Big Island(Waikoloa)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We fly in on the 24th and will be doing some shore dives on Thursday the 25th that maybe cutting it too close for your no fly time. Going to be diving mostly south of Kona Place of Refuse etc...PM me if that would work for a morning dive?? We rent tanks from Big Island Divers I think your cost would be $10 unlimited fills for 24 hours. Then maybe we will be doing a boat dive with Wanna Dive Thursday or Friday afternoon??

ML:
...as with any of the sacred heiaus, you have to be _very_ careful about where you park, walk and dive.

Can you please clarify this a bit? What's a "sacred heiaus"? And what is the danger? Car theft? Laval flow? I have no idea since I've never been to Hawaii. But I might be visiting soon and would like to stay out of trouble. Thanks.

From what research I have done it is a sacred area. Here is an excerpt from an article that talks about it.

"Submerged just offshore between here and the Kawaihae Harbor jetty, are the largely unexplored, ruined remains of Hale O Kapuni Heiau, a temple dedicated to the shark god Mano. Here worship rites included human flesh being fed to sharks. One reason this temple is not better known is that the bay is still home to several large tiger sharks."

Here is a link to the article. Pu’ukohola Heiau National Historic Park: A Warrior becomes a King, an Island Archipelago Becomes a Kingdom Lovingthebigisland’s Weblog

A heiau is a Hawaiian temple.

I would not advise shore diving near Hale O Kapuni and Pu'u Kohola. These temples lie between Kawaihae harbor and Spencer Beach Park where the water is basically always murky. I've snorkeled at spencer and outside the harbor jetty and the reef is pretty dead. And this time of year the place we're talking about is a pretty prime surf spot. If it is calm and had a boat there is some good reef further away from the jetty but there is no place to anchor.

However if you're in family griswold mode I would suggest a visit to Pu'u Kohola. Also the ruins at Lapakahi are pretty spiffy.

-Eric

From what research I have done it is a sacred area. Here is an excerpt from an article that talks about it.

"Submerged just offshore between here and the Kawaihae Harbor jetty, are the largely unexplored, ruined remains of Hale O Kapuni Heiau, a temple dedicated to the shark god Mano. Here worship rites included human flesh being fed to sharks. One reason this temple is not better known is that the bay is still home to several large tiger sharks."

Here is a link to the article. Pu’ukohola Heiau National Historic Park: A Warrior becomes a King, an Island Archipelago Becomes a Kingdom Lovingthebigisland’s Weblog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom